Ride Report- Mississippi to Alaska & Back - Pic Heavy

Re: Ride Report- Mississippi to Alaska & Back - Pic Heavy

ThumbUp.....nice scooter Kevin,,,,, good luck with the ride and don;t forget the MONKEY BUTT,,,,,:laugh::laugh:

Thank you! Had a great time.

That wasn't the tetons my friend. Those were the Bighorns. The Tetons were about three hundred miles west of you around Jackson Hole, wyo.

Ah, my mistake, saw them off in the distance and did not know there was another range between us and the tetons.

Hi Kevin. I followed your whole trip on the HD forum and just joined this site and saw your here as well. I'm looking into buying a trike and thought this was a great start for info. The more I saw your fun and with same body issues I think a trike is the way to go. Thanks again for the great ride.

No doubt the TG's are fun. HD nailed it on the handling side of things.

awesome trip

There's still more to come! :)

I got back from the Hot Bike Power Tour. Did up a little Ride Report on it...since it is not on 3 wheels figured it was not appropriate to post here, but for those interested you can see it HERE.

There's still quite a bit more of the Alaska trip report. I will resume posting pics tomorrow.

Ok, FINALLY am able to resume the Ride Report from Meridian to Missoula.

This was a great day of riding!

Missoula16_zps956e68b7.jpg

Mostly curves all day, but every now and then some straights to just kick back on.

Missoula17_zpsba53a94e.jpg

Huge variety in scenery and temps too.

Missoula18_zps63a1652e.jpg

This was a pretty warm section...and we are close enough to a fire that is burning northwest of us that we can see lots of smoke and smell it.

Missoula19_zpse6645374.jpg

I forget the name of this town, we have been thru it before when it was packed with folks fishing the Salmon river.

Gas stop and calling the shop to take care of business.

Missoula20_zps621b6541.jpg

Back on the road, more smoke and heat. After today we are trading our leather for the mesh.

Missoula21_zps335c5926.jpg

Idaho has some amazing roads and countryside.

Missoula22_zpsed318a3c.jpg

Mary in the mirror!

Missoula23_zpsa7a29cba.jpg

That is a lot of road til we hit the forest again! Sure am happy we picked up the "Stay Cool" bandanas in Meridian.

Missoula24_zps02fe4dcc.jpg

Turning onto the 13...it is a short section of road, but pretty dramatic and fun to ride.

Missoula25_zpsa3e68578.jpg

More in next post.

Hilarious name for a work-out center...but maybe not so good for business...no cars in parking lot. :)

Missoula26_zps47e61f06.jpg

Barely got this sign! We've gone about 200 miles so far...but the last 170 are an amazing section of road.

Missoula27_zps4975697e.jpg

13 is short, but steep and full of turns and drop-offs. Mary did not get a lot of pics...I was riding pretty aggressive and she was holding on more than usual. :)

Missoula28_zps44646815.jpg

She used to be afraid of drop-offs, not so much anymore...great riding partner.

Missoula29_zps32b14ca9.jpg

Missoula30_zpsd2e2db02.jpg

Fantastic scenery, very little traffic, and...

Missoula31_zps6f7eb5a3.jpg

great roads!

Missoula32_zps5b21bb1a.jpg

We pulled off to the side of the road to have a little picnic down by the river.

Missoula33_zps0654b046.jpg

A year ago I could not have made it down that embankment...Dr. Kiel really helped my foot out so that we could enjoy stuff like this.

Missoula34_zps419478a4.jpg

We got under a shade tree, and had some lunch...looking to the left....

Missoula35_zpsd75f43f4.jpg

More in next post.

And to the right.

Missoula36_zpsc1cd1524.jpg

I had to test my boots again in the water...lol, and get the Stay Cool banadanas wet again.

Missoula37_zps60905423.jpg

Back on the road, we get to the 12.

Missoula38_zps02c40b39.jpg

This sign is not kidding. I had a blast! Although, I did run out of steam before the end of the 99 miles. Those of you that have ridden with me know that I like to hit corners hard...between the previous 250 miles of curves and this section...I actually took the last 30 miles or so pretty easy...was plumb tuckered out. Never before have I reached the end of the day when I wasn't ready for more curves. lol

Missoula39_zps88b0a6e5.jpg

Beautiful Country!

Missoula40_zpsc593755f.jpg

It was nice riding next to a river almost the entire day!

Missoula41_zps7e117542.jpg

Mary takes some shots from some new angles.

Missoula42_zps61740060.jpg

Missoula43_zps20f8002d.jpg

There were short straight sections of road in between curves. :)

Missoula44_zps2adbc931.jpg

More in next post.

Stunning! Can't tell so well in the picture...but that is a super clear river right next to us.

Missoula45_zps961b2324.jpg

Stopped for gas at one of the two stations in this 99 mile stretch.

There were only two pumps and this guy on the beemer had been sitting in front of one of them for over 10 minutes fiddling with his GPS. There were 4 bikes in line behind him. I finally went up and asked him how long he thought it would be before he moved. He stopped messing with his GPS, and took another few minutes getting all his gear on to pull away from the pump.

Missoula46_zps73bc13df.jpg

This couple from Canada had picked up a nail somewhere. Fortunately they saw the low tire when they stopped for gas.

Missoula47_zps4256331f.jpg

Missoula48_zps234770a2.jpg

Back on the road with some more creative shots and beautiful scenery.

Missoula49_zps8801f071.jpg

A couple more fun shots.

Missoula50_zps0c181b29.jpg

Missoula51_zpsbbed521d.jpg

After seeing so much blue water in Canada, the clear water down here gets Mary taking more shots of it than of clouds! :)

Missoula52_zps55a9cedf.jpg

Could not ask for a better road, better scenery or day of riding!

Missoula53_zps48c2276f.jpg

Missoula54_zps9a2e814b.jpg

More in next post.

Since our mesh is in Missoula, we are still wearing our leather jackets. This is Marys' answer to heat...a spray bottle keeps her comfortable.

Missoula55_zpsb4c63f05.jpg

Her stash pocket in my back rest. Spray bottle, water, sunscreen, chapstick and who knows what else. :)

Missoula56_zpse66850ac.jpg

It does not get better than riding roads like this.

Missoula57_zps94f71969.jpg

Saw these guys kayaking and stopped to take a pic...they weren't making much progress...they would get a bit down stream, then the water would push them back to where they were.

Missoula58_zps11f2d083.jpg

One of them finally got thru, and we were back moving again.

Missoula59_zpseb887893.jpg

If you like curves and ever have a chance to ride 12 in Idaho, I highly recommend it!

Missoula60_zpsc6461419.jpg

Missoula61_zps2457a28d.jpg

This little guy got stuck between my sunglasses forehead. I put it on cruise control and pulled him out to show Mary...she got a pretty good pic. :)

Missoula62_zpscfeacfe8.jpg

Getting closer to Montana!

Missoula63_zpsa7277030.jpg

Saw this mountain goat and Mary got a pic of it over her shoulder.

Missoula64_zps8d062b4f.jpg

More in next post.

We hit the Montana border...not long before we will see our son and granddaughter!!!

Missoula65_zps922f251b.jpg

The speed limit in Montana on this road is 75 mph. They also have a little white crosses on the side of the road where ever there has been a fatality. Some vehicles are going far faster than the 75 mph. I ride my ride...sometimes 75 or 80, but there are more than a few places that I am not comfortable at 75.

Also, the road has sand on it...not so much that there is any traction problem...but when a car/truck passes it does kick it up on us.

Missoula66_zpsee9fe010.jpg

Still, it is some nice road and scenery!

Missoula67_zpsdb07aa8d.jpg

Missoula68_zps1449695f.jpg

We are in Missoula!

Missoula69_zpscaeba65c.jpg

Will post a few pics from Missoula, we met up with Dualls and his girlfriend from the forum...had a meal and a little riding. Then we are off to Beartooth Pass and the Bone Daddy Rally.

Great photos, remind me of the two trips I made there but didn't have a rider to take great photos. Its a beautiful part of the country.

That was absolutlely awesome! First I got to your thread! The pics, the scenery, all just wonderful.
On one of the pics Sep 5th it shows one of the foot rests left side. It looks like a bicycle peddle! Guess I do too much bicycling.
Tks. for the tour!
cooltech:cool:

Thank You,Thank You,Thank You!!! I have ridden from Ohio to Alaska 3 times(twice on 2 wheels and once on three) and I feel like I just had a 4th trip with you !!

Cool! Glad you're enjoying them.

Great photos, remind me of the two trips I made there but didn't have a rider to take great photos. Its a beautiful part of the country.

Thank you. Yeah, it's a whole different deal...I discovered that when trying to document the Power Tour. lol

That was absolutlely awesome! First I got to your thread! The pics, the scenery, all just wonderful.
On one of the pics Sep 5th it shows one of the foot rests left side. It looks like a bicycle peddle! Guess I do too much bicycling.
Tks. for the tour!
cooltech:cool:

Thank you!

Yes, those are our Triple Trap foot pegs which do start life as bicycle peddles. Amazing how comfortable they are.

DK Custom Foot Pegs - YouTube

Just a short update today.

We pulled into Missoula, MT and spent 3 days with Craig and Lydia.

I am not going to bore you with grand-baby pics (we have hundreds of them). lol

After this report I am going to try and knock out the rest of the trip within the next week.

Here's Lydia trying on grand-ma's sunglasses

MissoulaJuly5_zps446bd864.jpg

And trying out grand-ma's camera!

MissoulaJuly1_zps5d2b9b69.jpg

Playing with grand-pa's hair.

MissoulaJuly6_zps0aa76809.jpg

We met up with Dualls and Marisha from the forum one evening. Went and had some good BBQ and good conversation.

MissoulaJuly2_zpsa3240ebe.jpg

MissoulaJuly3_zps8955236f.jpg

Traded stories, talked bikes, and generally had a good time with these new friends. Looking forward to meeting up when we're in Missoula next, and doing some riding in the hills around Missoula.

Good people!

MissoulaJuly4_zps85a15cb3.jpg

Next up is the ride to, and thru, Beartooth Pass.

ThumbUpThumbUp,,,SWEEETTT,,,, don't have any grandchildren but waiting patiently and looking forward to it ,,,,,,ThumbUpThumbUp

Headed home...got a few more stops.

Packed up and ready to roll.

TOBT1_zpsece16e23.jpg

Leaving Missoula, always bittersweet. But we'll be back again soon.

TOBT2_zpsdc786963.jpg

TOBT3_zps167fae9f.jpg

On the 90. We've seen more than a few trikes this summer...far more than last.

TOBT4_zps53275a5f.jpg

Rolling down some nice road...nice to be back in the saddle.

TOBT5_zpse47fa901.jpg

Not a lot of traffic, good road, and we'll be in Red Lodge tonight, but before that, we'll be traveling thru part of Yellowstone and doing Beartooth pass...so just eating up these interstate miles to get there.

TOBT6_zpse40da6b3.jpg

Look Mary! No hands! :)

TOBT7_zpscc80e4ae.jpg

There are a few fun sections of road between Missoula and Yellowstone.

TOBT8_zps6c0e9315.jpg

TOBT9_zps3877c9a9.jpg

Another Great Day to be riding!!!

TOBT10_zps792d3bae.jpg

More in next post.

I know there are a lot of complaints about various things with the newer HD's, and I have a few myself.

But with the roads we have traveled, and all the abuse this TG has seen on this trip, it is really quite amazing that it rolls down the road at 90+ mph with no complaints, smooth as can be.

TOBT11_zpse2215c74.jpg

Getting close to Yellowstone!

ToBT12_zpsd151f9f9.jpg

Mary was probably focused on the river, mountains and sky in this pic, while I was enjoying the road getting less straight. lol

TOBT13_zpsd691ca8f.jpg

Big arch into Yellowstone.

TOBT14_zps78f185c3.jpg

Earlier in this trip we passed thru this same corner of Yellowstone...just headed the opposite direction.

TOBT15_zps24b9be96.jpg

Last year we spent a few days in Yellowstone and would have liked to spend a few more...this year we are just passing thru this one corner as it is the fastest way between Beartooth and Missoula.

It is really an amazing place, and it is a bit hard to not spend more time here. But we have been gone from the shop far too long already.

TOBT16_zpsaa7dcae7.jpg

The Northeast Entrance is where we will exit Yellowstone, and Cooke City is where the fun of Beartooth starts.

TOBT17_zpsc41f6adf.jpg

Our shadows almost touching him, he pays us no mind.

TOBT18_zps5838837a.jpg

Other times we have been in Yellowstone we have seen a lot of buffalo. But we see FAR more this time thru...not sure if it was because we were later in the day...or just happenstance.

TOBT19_zpsa022e0ad.jpg

When they decide they way to cross...nothing to do but wait. :)

TOBT20_zpsf74b61ab.jpg

More in next post.

I believe we saw well over a thousand buffalo in this little time we were here today. Magnificent animals...

TOBT21_zpse3324d38.jpg

but always a bit un-nerving when they stop doing what they do and start paying attention to you. lol I have never seen one charge, but am told they can be very quick when they want to be.

TOBT22_zps6e9206dd.jpg

Amazing place!

TOBT23_zpsf5aefe9f.jpg

And more buffalo..

TOBT24_zps8d406921.jpg

These guys were staying on the one side of the road, but we rolled thru slowly, taking in the view.

TOBT25_zps2eb85f26.jpg

This one bull was huge, and all by himself, making his way down the side of the road.

TOBT26_zps506130cf.jpg

Leaving Yellowstone at the Northeast Entrance...a few more miles to Beartooth Pass.

TOBT27_zps5a18d156.jpg

Here we are! This has to be one of the most amazing roads we have ever traveled...both the road being a fun one, and the sights so breath-taking.

TOBT28_zpsafe97d31.jpg

Will post the ride thru Beartooth Pass in the next day or so...as time permits.

We have been thru Beartooth Pass once already on this trip. This time we are going thru it much later in the day.

Also, just 40 days earlier almost everything was covered with snow, now there is hardly any snow.

Beautiful country!

TOBT29_zps21136b83.jpg

Cooke City is right at the base of the pass. We stopped for gas and a little snack before heading on.

TOBT30_zps3f2d3ce4.jpg

Being late in the day, some of the pics are not so great, and some are even more dramatic!

TOBT31_zps25752cca.jpg

lol, I should have cleaned my windshield!

TOBT32_zps41bab493.jpg

This is our first time thru without everything covered in snow...

TOBT33_zps3d496b03.jpg

and with all the lakes and ponds not frozen over.

TOBT34_zpsff197854.jpg

The road is a blast to ride if you like winding, twisty roads...

TOBT35_zps6faad358.jpg

with lots of elevation changes mixed into them.

TOBT36_zpse63a0f3b.jpg

We are happy we traveled thru later in the day!

TOBT37_zpsd9e0df23.jpg

Just amazing!

TOBT38_zpsb8e78e0b.jpg

More in next post.

Welcome to the Trike Talk Community

Join our vibrant online community dedicated to all things Trikes! Whether you're a seasoned rider or just starting out, this is the place to share experiences, tips, and stories about your three-wheeled adventures. Explore modifications, maintenance advice, and rides, all while connecting with fellow trike enthusiasts from around the globe

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Markh853

Trike Talk Community

Welcome to a community dedicated to the most diverse and fastest growing powersports segment, Motorcycle Trikes. Come join the discussion about the best makes and models, popular modifications and proven performance hacks, trike touring and travel, maintenance, meetups and more!

Register Already a member? Login

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Markh853
 photo 260e2760-d89e-45b2-8675-2bc26fb3d465.jpg

photo Trike-Talk-150-x-200.gif

photo DK Trike Talk Right side banner 19.jpg

Merziere Reverser

photo 9796095c-0d4b-4a9b-88ed-efe4c498d084.png
 photo f9866e4e-75c5-471a-86f5-5e72a446ecc3.png