Reverse motor repair

Reaction score
I have a 2011 Tri-Glide and the reverse motor is very weak. You can hit the switch and it goes back a few inches then stops. I do this 2-3 times and it eventually just stops. The first thing I'm going to try is check the battery and make sure it is good, but if its ok; I wondered if the reverse motor could be rebuilt. Hate to drop $1300+ on a little electric motor. If I have to do that, I'll just put a baker or whatever in the tranny.

Besides checking your battery, check the connections to the reverse drive to make sure they're clean. If it is the motor you may be able to get a shop that works on starters to repair it, its basically a high torque starter.

you know if your going to drop 1300 bucks on a motor I would just go to a mechanical reverse..Far better than the electric version IMO

I have heard that when using rev. that if you increase the RPM that it helps, don't know ?.<br />
how old is your batt. that's the 1st place I would go. good luck.

Just had mine replaced under extended warranty.

+1 on M3, I would check all connections, and that the battery is good. If it is the motor, then you can probably find a local shop to rebuild it.

Before spending too much on it, I would check out the mechanical reverse options.

That said, I rode for quite a while with no reverse at all. Just had to be careful where I parked.

Kevin

Same problem I had with my 2011. They replaced the motor under warranty. Make sure solenoid is good. It is probably the brushes in the motor. a good starter rebuilder should be able to repair it if it is not under warranty.

cant the manufacturer of the starter make the repairs or is that another have to go thru the dealer product??

I know when my fails its going in the garbage..Cant stand the electrical drain when you hit that button..

When my reverse motor was replaced on'10 TG, new motor had higher torque and speed. Same P/N. Warranty covered it.

-

cant the manufacturer of the starter make the repairs or is that another have to go thru the dealer product??

I know when my fails its going in the garbage..Cant stand the electrical drain when you hit that button..

Original manufacture of the motor is more likely in China. Would cost as much as the purchase of a new motor in freight. No doubt the motor is re-buildable. If someone does motorcycle starters they might have the parts on hand.

You might call customer service & bitch for a while. Or at least explain the problems with their choice of an electric motor reverse & see if they might go ahead & stand good for it.

If you have an '11 year, does it have extended warranty? If it does just let Harley have at it ! Don't worry about it !

One more reason I carry a long warranty. That motor replacement alone is over half the cost of the warranty.

I belive the manufacturer is in california? Yea if you have a wanrranty go for it..out of warranty a mechanical one is in my sights..

:Coffee:

Drop me a note before you pitch it in the trash. A friend of mine has an electrical motor repair shop and would like to give one a try. He rebuilt a 36 volt motor for my satellite dish and it is beefier than new.

Drop me a note before you pitch it in the trash. A friend of mine has an electrical motor repair shop and would like to give one a try. He rebuilt a 36 volt motor for my satellite dish and it is beefier than new.

when mine takes a dump..I will drop you a note..

When my reverse motor was replaced on'10 TG, new motor had higher torque and speed. Same P/N. Warranty covered it.

Mine seems to have more torque also...have not noticed that it is any faster. I have noticed that it seems to drain more power out of the battery!

Bikerbozo;206155&quot ; rel= said:
When my reverse motor was replaced on'10 TG, new motor had higher torque and speed.

Same P/N. Warranty covered it.

I have a 2011 and before the original two year warranty ran out the reverse had to be replaced twice. When it went out the third time (4th counting the factory original) it was over the two year warranty. I asked about a "lemon law" as I had some other issues with my 2011. When the fourth motor came in, it had a different part # than what the first three had. Because it was a new part # like there had been a factory "update or recall" and it was past the two year mark No Lemon! The mechanic said they had put water seals in it and a small drain hole in the bottom. Which says to me there was a problem a water issue and the electrics. My.

Dealer did not charge me the $50 deductible for my extended warranty which was nice.

At the time I was having the 4th reverse motor put in I had something over 20,000 miles on it. Close to 25,000 now and no problem and I do think this new part # has more torque.

As a side note I try and be aware of and how I park as to not to have to use the reverse at all possible. When my extended warranty runs out she will have a mechanical reverse!

Trikester Will;214801&quot ; rel= said:
I have a 2011 and before the original two year warranty ran out the reverse had to be replaced twice.

When it went out the third time (4th counting the factory original) it was over the two year warranty. I asked about a "lemon law" as I had some other issues with my 2011. When the fourth motor came in, it had a different part # than what the first three had. Because it was a new part # like there had been a factory "update or recall" and it was past the two year mark No Lemon! The mechanic said they had put water seals in it and a small drain hole in the bottom. Which says to me there was a problem a water issue and the electrics. My. Dealer did not charge me the $50 deductible for my extended warranty which was nice. At the time I was having the 4th reverse motor put in I had something over 20,000 miles on it.

Close to 25,000 now and no problem and I do think this new part # has more torque.

As a side note I try and be aware of and how I park as to not to have to use the reverse at all possible. When my extended warranty runs out she will have a mechanical reverse!

I hope this one holds up for you.

I'm at 50k miles and only on my second one. Yesterday I had a new noise/rattle. First thing I checked was to make sure the reverse motor wasn't loose. lol

Ended up being a broken heat shield clamp. :)

Kevin

I have a 2010 Harley-Davidson Tri Glide ULTRA CLASSIC Trike and it is not under warranty. The reverse is quite working and the price to replace it is 1400 now. How hard is it to remove and is there a site to go to that shows how too? Want to try and get it rebuilt before I pay that much. also does anyone know a mechanic in central Florida the place in Sanford I go to has closed.

Had mine rebuilt on my 11 T/G Very easy to pull the motor out, I brought the motor to a rebuilder and he did it while I waited' Took about a half hour and 95 dollars..
The motor is an Hitachi..

Middlesex Armature Service.
Middlesex N.J.
732-634-3779.

Had mine rebuilt on my 11 T/G Very easy to pull the motor out, I brought the motor to a rebuilder and he did it while I waited' Took about a half hour and 95 dollars..

Middlesex N.J.

732-634-3779.

I believe Rhino also advised that he spoke with the above business and they were willing to do mail in repairs. Give them a call and send the motor to them. Good job Rhino

Middlesex N.J.
732-634-3779.

Here is the web address for the shop that repaired Rhino's reverse motor -
http://alternatorsandstartersnj.com/

I wonder if it would be worth creating a sticky or something like it to provide the info about this shop since the topic of TG reverse motor repair seems to come up often?
If this shop is willing to receive & ship the TG reverse motor than they would be a good resource for TG owner everywhere. I know that not everyone looks at the Sticky's first, but if there was something there it would make it easier to point someone in the right direction. Just a thought.

Trike Talk Community

Welcome to a community dedicated to the most diverse and fastest growing powersports segment, Motorcycle Trikes. Come join the discussion about the best makes and models, popular modifications and proven performance hacks, trike touring and travel, maintenance, meetups and more!

Register Already a member? Login

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
wheeza
 photo 260e2760-d89e-45b2-8675-2bc26fb3d465.jpg

photo Trike-Talk-150-x-200.gif

photo DK Trike Talk Right side banner 19.jpg

Merziere Reverser

photo 9796095c-0d4b-4a9b-88ed-efe4c498d084.png
 photo f9866e4e-75c5-471a-86f5-5e72a446ecc3.png