GL1500 Custom Home Build Trike - Pics

skip20

Nov 22, 2009
Knoxville, TN 37934
Couldn't find my 1st post, so will start this one
The body parts are showing up slowly.
Got a Trunk & now it's starting to look like a GoldWing.

Skip20

Re: Honda GoldWing Gl1500 Custom Built Trike

Hey Skip, You are a busy man building both those trikes at the same time! Thanks for posting these pictures, and do keep on posting to update us on the progress. We love to be part of the fun --- even long distance :D

Got to agree with Nana. It's nice to build your own but doing 2 at a time is really getting with the program. They are coming along nicely.

Getting to the point that I will be sitting on my hands till I get the rear body next year.
There will be alot of fiberglass work on the body & will be posting pictures as I go.
Guess I will just have to enjoy the holidays coming up & work on the Bradley GT II.
Last 3 days been loading up eBay with most of the extra parts left over from the 2 bikes I've fixed.
I'm skip20 on eBay also, in fact most places I hang out.

HAPPY TURKEY DAY

You're a busy boy Skip. Where do you find the time???? They will look great when finished. As they say...Remember the pictures;)

Went for a ride on Turkey Day, so took some pictures out in the sun.

Had to lower the rear air shock for better ground clearance

[/U

Skip20

Last edited:

Finally got a really nice trunk from a SE off eBay & got it mounted.
Waiting for the new speakers & a few other parts to show up.

Will be driving out to Calif. at the end of this month to pick up the trike body.
Hope she don't make to much trouble have to move across county to the COLD.
Not mush else to do on the trike build till I start on the body work & mounting next year.
Have a great holiday & enjoy.

Skip20

We enjoy these updates! Thanks Skip :)

Quite a mix Black front, Blue middle, Red rear 1/4 and a White trunk. Where you getting the stuff, what is the rear drive made from and WHAT color will it be when done ?:cool:
Wait at first it had a black trunk and a RED middle.... Confused

Last edited:

That's what I like Skip, a project that is thought out and then built, nit just following a blue print. Your really putting soal into it.

I started with a stripped '93 GL1500 that ran good, bent forks & no body panels.
Picked up a 2001 Miata rear end, but couldn't get higher gearing for it.
So got a BMW diff. with 2.93:1 gearing (same as GoldWing ), but then had to go with the older axles from a '95 Miata which had bolt on flanges.
The '01 have push in axles!
Machines adp. hubs to weld on the BMW inner axles & bolt the Miata axle to them.
Cut & shorten wheel trade 3", couldn't get more out of it due to the way I mounted the BMW, & shorten the right axle, moving the drive shaft a little more in line with the trans.
Body parts came off of eBay slowly, & mounted, sometime the were junk & replaced with more eBaying.
All of the pictures can be viewed here:
Honda GL1500 Trike Build pictures from motorcycles photos on webshots
Got a used raked fort tree with 1.5" fork ext.
Mounted air shocks in the rear.
I have about $3500.00 in the whole project so far which includes the extra parts I sold.
Picking up a damaged trike body out in Calif. in Dec. & will be fixing & modifying to fit next year.
Paint & :no: riding :no: in the spring. Not sure of color as yet, Yellow, Pearl White maybe Candy Red
Est total cost to be under $5000.00 & the fun & pride of DIY.

Skip20

Last edited:

That is awesome, Skip! What fun :). How I envy the knowledge you guys have who build and repair as you do!!!

I would love to see some close ups of the way it is put together . the grafting and how it all attached to the Wings swingarm

The trikes been put away till next year year.
Driving out to Calif for some sun shine & to pick up a damaged Champion body. Will be a little work to fit to my trike, but that's the fun part.
Have a great & Safe Holiday

Skip20.

Back from sunny, warm CA.
Need to unload the rear body Monday & try it on the trike. Will take pictures.
Freezing my butt off here in TN, we almost turned around a number of time to head back West again.
:(The Ford Ranger blew a head gasket in Sweetwater TX.on the way out.
Added Stop Leak & made it to CA & as far back as :mad:Texarkana & it gave up.
Bought a :yes:2008 Ford F150 4 door King Ranch for 1/2 price of new & towed Ranger back home with it.
If it warms up again, will get back to work on the trike.

Skip20

Welcome to the Trike Talk Community

Join our vibrant online community dedicated to all things Trikes! Whether you're a seasoned rider or just starting out, this is the place to share experiences, tips, and stories about your three-wheeled adventures. Explore modifications, maintenance advice, and rides, all while connecting with fellow trike enthusiasts from around the globe

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
PERuss

Trike Talk Community

Welcome to a community dedicated to the most diverse and fastest growing powersports segment, Motorcycle Trikes. Come join the discussion about the best makes and models, popular modifications and proven performance hacks, trike touring and travel, maintenance, meetups and more!

Register Already a member? Login

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
PERuss
 photo 260e2760-d89e-45b2-8675-2bc26fb3d465.jpg

photo Trike-Talk-150-x-200.gif

photo DK Trike Talk Right side banner 19.jpg

Merziere Reverser

photo 9796095c-0d4b-4a9b-88ed-efe4c498d084.png
 photo f9866e4e-75c5-471a-86f5-5e72a446ecc3.png