Getting really disgusted.

Went on a really nice ride yesterday, despite the Louisiana heat and humidity. Got home and had a reverse that was barely working. It would work intermittently (very slowly) and sometimes not at all. Since I'm a right A/K amputee, I really need the reverse. Emailed the service dept. at Hammond Harley to set up a service appointment, so it goes in Thursday for the fourth time since I bought it in Feb., 2015. I've heard Harleys have reliability issues but didn't realize how bad they are. Seriously thinking about trading it in for a Can Am when it gets repaired. Pissed off and just needed to vent.

Can Am's are nice, but have their fair share of problems. My riding buddy has a 2011 RT, and has nothing but electrical, and brake problems. 3 computers, 2 batteries, 3 sets of rear brake pads. It always starts, so he never has to have it towed to the shop.He has about 40,000 miles on it now,bought new.

some of the older Spyder's did have some issues. 2012 was one of the better early year models.

if you can I would look harder at at least the 2014's and above. bigger engine, six speed tranny, less maintenance, better mileage and much, much smoother.

we had a 2013 RT and ran into someone that just had to have it so I sold it. picked up the 2015 RT last year and never looked back.

Went on a really nice ride yesterday, despite the Louisiana heat and humidity. Got home and had a reverse that was barely working. It would work intermittently (very slowly) and sometimes not at all. Since I'm a right A/K amputee, I really need the reverse. Emailed the service dept. at Hammond Harley to set up a service appointment, so it goes in Thursday for the fourth time since I bought it in Feb., 2015. I've heard Harleys have reliability issues but didn't realize how bad they are. Seriously thinking about trading it in for a Can Am when it gets repaired. Pissed off and just needed to vent.

My understanding is that HDs reverse is more meant as an assist than a true reverse. That's how I use mine sans problems but I don't brake or back up hills.

If I needed more, and I may soon, I would install an aftermarket mechanical reverse. A buddy has one on a conversion trike. It's a true reverse controlled by the clutch and throttle not just a one-speed. Lots of data/expertise available here.

Hi, you've probably already tried this, but my reverse stopped working, and it is a simple circuit breaker and toggle reset under the seat, under the right side panel. Hope this is all you need to get it working again!

What were the other three service issues?

Wife and I are on our 3rd and 4th Trike. 3 Tri-glides and a Freewheeler. We have never had any problems with the reverse. We have ridden 2 wheel Harleys for many years, and do our best to not park where you have to back out, so we rarely use them. Some advise, DON'T use the breaks when backing. Release the button and let the trike coast to a stop. DON'T stab the back-up button. Push it, hold it until you are done backing, release it and coast, then stop. DON'T back up long hills or driveways. go forward, and let gravity back you down. When backing, give it a LITTLE gas, this raises the voltage from the alternator and helps the reverse motor. Look where you are going to park, and do your best to park where you won't have to back out. Always try and let gravity back you up.

If I'm not mistaken, the Can Am's use an electric reverse too, so you may have the same problems with them.

I weigh 245 pounds and my '09 Tri, and '15 Free have only popped the breaker once. Wife (130 pounds) never tripped the breaker on her '11, and only once on her '14.

Good Luck, hope things work out for you

Wife and I are on our 3rd and 4th Trike. 3 Tri-glides and a Freewheeler. We have never had any problems with the reverse. We have ridden 2 wheel Harleys for many years, and do our best to not park where you have to back out, so we rarely use them. Some advise, DON'T use the breaks when backing. Release the button and let the trike coast to a stop. DON'T stab the back-up button. Push it, hold it until you are done backing, release it and coast, then stop. DON'T back up long hills or driveways. go forward, and let gravity back you down. When backing, give it a LITTLE gas, this raises the voltage from the alternator and helps the reverse motor. Look where you are going to park, and do your best to park where you won't have to back out. Always try and let gravity back you up.

If I'm not mistaken, the Can Am's use an electric reverse too, so you may have the same problems with them.

I weigh 245 pounds and my '09 Tri, and '15 Free have only popped the breaker once. Wife (130 pounds) never tripped the breaker on her '11, and only once on her '14.

Good Luck, hope things work out for you

Screwball, your advice on the use of the Harley electric reverse is spot on and I use your techniques for my 2016 TGU. On my 2015 F3-S Can-Am, it is an actual gear one down from 1st and is actuated like all other gears by my clutch/throttle. BTW, the Can-Am reverse is extremely smooth in its operation unlike the Harley which is fairly weak and at times a bit jerky in its motions.

...Some advise, DON'T use the breaks when backing. Release the button and let the trike coast to a stop. DON'T stab the back-up button. Push it, hold it until you are done backing, release it and coast, then stop. DON'T back up long hills or driveways. go forward, and let gravity back you down. When backing, give it a LITTLE gas, this raises the voltage from the alternator and helps the reverse motor. Look where you are going to park, and do your best to park where you won't have to back out. Always try and let gravity back you up.....

I think Screwball's approach is probably the best advise to give, I can't think of better.

I would add that I did have concerns about the electric reverse when I bought my 2015 FLRT, and I even installed HD's high output Alt kit for mine....But, I have to confess, I doubt I really had too....but it is nice to have....

I would have to also say that if you have to buy a replacement electric revers motor, I would suggest buying a mechanical reverse instead......almost the same money and would lighten the FLRT considerably. And, I think in the long-haul would be better. That would be my approach anyway.

I guess my really issue with HDs electric reverse is its very costly and I think mechanical reverse conversions can be done for approximately the same cost and have proven to be reliable over the long-haul. IMHO.

Anyway, good luck and I hope it works out for you,

Springman

Weak reverse = weak battery or stuck brushes in the motor.

Good advice above for using reverse properly. NEVER use brake and reverse at the same time.

2014 TG with 21k+ miles and no reverse issues!

Bob :D

I am also with Screwball on this on. I have never had any issues with my 11' SG Trike using this method. The "look ahead to incline" method when on a heavy bike has saved my knees more than once!

Me.. I put in a mechanical reverse in my 30 thousand dollar Tri-Glide 'So Now i don't have to ride around parking lots like an old Women looking for that perfect spot... I park when i want and where i want..;):laugh:

Rhino, I want to ask: Do you use a mechanical reverse like the one from MotorTrike? Does yours have the electrical lockout that stalls the motor if enguaging reverse while the normal transmission is in gear?

I want to know if that setup will NOT allow the trike to start if the Reverse is engauged? And, if the trike's mechanical revers is engauged, how steep an incline could an enguaged reverse stand before rolling? In short, how would it standup to being used as the parking brake as well?

I am pondering if adding the mechanical reverse could also mean removal of the electrical reverse as well as the parking brake assembly. I see that as a better investment down the road if the electric reverse gives me trouble - and the parking brake is proving to be a pain now.......seems to need adjustment a lot....

Thanks,

Springman

You can go with a Champion Mechanical reverse. Has no electrics.
Should not have to remove the parking brake

Can AM reverse is all mechanical.

That electric reverse should never be installed on any bike.

Rhino, I want to ask: Do you use a mechanical reverse like the one from MotorTrike? Does yours have the electrical lockout that stalls the motor if enguaging reverse while the normal transmission is in gear?

I want to know if that setup will NOT allow the trike to start if the Reverse is engauged? And, if the trike's mechanical revers is engauged, how steep an incline could an enguaged reverse stand before rolling? In short, how would it standup to being used as the parking brake as well?

I am pondering if adding the mechanical reverse could also mean removal of the electrical reverse as well as the parking brake assembly. I see that as a better investment down the road if the electric reverse gives me trouble - and the parking brake is proving to be a pain now.......seems to need adjustment a lot....

Thanks,

Springman

Yes i have the the MOTO-TRIKE Reverse with the lock-out... It comes with the kit... And its a must have!
I when i have to back out of a space.. I put the trans in Neutral put reverse lever in reverse [I can also start the engine in neutral and then engage reverse but its easier this way] .. Cluch in start the engine ease off the cluch'' and as Ralph Camden would say ''And away we go'' I would never use reverse for parking with any trike. Also As a matter of fact, I haven't used my park brake in years... I park in first gear.. Your park brake will need constance adjustment if your making it too tight, And that will in turn ware the brake shoes a little 'And then you have to adjust them again...

Just to add... If you' after backing out forget to take it out of reverse and put it in First the lock-out will instantly shut down the engine..... Been there had that happen.....

Yes i have the the MOTO-TRIKE Reverse with the lock-out... It comes with the kit... And its a must have!
I when i have to back out of a space.. I put the trans in Neutral put reverse lever in reverse [I can also start the engine in neutral and then engage reverse but its easier this way] .. Cluch in start the engine ease off the cluch'' and as Ralph Camden would say ''And away we go'' I would never use reverse for parking with any trike. Also As a matter of fact, I haven't used my park brake in years... I park in first gear.. Your park brake will need constance adjustment if your making it too tight, And that will in turn ware the brake shoes a little 'And then you have to adjust them again...

Just to add... If you' after backing out forget to take it out of reverse and put it in First the lock-out will instantly shut down the engine..... Been there had that happen.....

YES! - I think this is my future path as well.....
THANKS!

Springman

Ashtray full ? Sell the car. Moto-Trike it. Problem solved.
Having reliability issues ? Do tell. :Shrug:

Welcome to the Trike Talk Community

Join our vibrant online community dedicated to all things Trikes! Whether you're a seasoned rider or just starting out, this is the place to share experiences, tips, and stories about your three-wheeled adventures. Explore modifications, maintenance advice, and rides, all while connecting with fellow trike enthusiasts from around the globe

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CedarRonin

Trike Talk Community

Welcome to a community dedicated to the most diverse and fastest growing powersports segment, Motorcycle Trikes. Come join the discussion about the best makes and models, popular modifications and proven performance hacks, trike touring and travel, maintenance, meetups and more!

Register Already a member? Login

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CedarRonin
 photo 260e2760-d89e-45b2-8675-2bc26fb3d465.jpg

photo Trike-Talk-150-x-200.gif

photo DK Trike Talk Right side banner 19.jpg

Merziere Reverser

photo 9796095c-0d4b-4a9b-88ed-efe4c498d084.png
 photo f9866e4e-75c5-471a-86f5-5e72a446ecc3.png