Freewheeler "Chopper" Project

Yes... using same mounts as the OEM backrest. I have a Corbin one with armrests for longer rides and the sissy bar for around town. But they are both plug and play. I will post pics of it on the bike when it is back together.

Backrest.jpg

Very nice looking! Did you route it to the wiring/lighting plug under the seat?

Yes. No equalizer module required as the LEDs were Can Bus compatible. Essentially the harness is the same from the main connector to the devices. Just have 3 per side instead of 1.

Nice work Jeff

I cant wait to see the signals work;)

Thanks. They work now. everything functions (running, brake, turns). I just did not get to make them sequence as the module that was available was not compatible. NAMZ out of PA makes Badlands modules for all sorts of things. They are going to release a sequencing module soon and when they do I will be near the front of the line :cool:

20180908_185521.jpg20180908_185542.jpg Got her back today. Phase 1 almost complete. 2017 Freewheeler. Installed Cobra slip-ons, Jackpot headers, S&S mini teardrop intake, Wild 1 10" pullback drag bars, fenders removed, LED brake/running/turn lights in chrome license plate frame from Custom Dynamics. She was set up to be dyno tuned but with the new chrome exhaust they want 500 miles on it before they do it otherwise the chrome will discolor. Stay tuned for phase 2. MT's and Cragars on the way. The stage 1 upgrade is so worth it. 104 degrees in Vegas and did not feel that heat on right leg at all.

.... MT's and Cragars on the way. .....

PS.....

hub-centric-rings-300x200.jpg

If you have not already thought about it...You will need hubcentric rings for your wheels to line them up help to dynamically stabilize them. Harley's hub is 2.5" diameter. So the hubcentric ring ID will be 63.4mm. My Cragar wheel adapter required a 72MM OD. You will need to measure yours to see what is required. The guys at US Wheel Adapter had exactly what I needed off the shelf. They can make custom ones for you as well. Here is a link

https://www.uswheeladapters.com/hub-centric-rings/

She is a beauty. Good luck.

....MT's and Cragars on the way...... .

P.S.S.......

You might want to look into DK's heavy Duty Axle Bearing Retainer Plates (see below). They will help with some of the bending moment changes wide wheels/tires will place on the axle and differential loading. Just sayin...

BTW.... It has been a BEAR getting someone to press the bearings off and press new ones (mandatory) on.... I have been down for three weeks due to this issue. So plan ahead...

axl_bung_plte_1.jpg

PS.....

View attachment 61615

If you have not already thought about it...You will need hubcentric rings for your wheels to line them up help to dynamically stabilize them. Harley's hub is 2.5" diameter. So the hubcentric ring ID will be 63.4mm. My Cragar wheel adapter required a 72MM OD. You will need to measure yours to see what is required. The guys at US Wheel Adapter had exactly what I needed off the shelf. They can make custom ones for you as well. Here is a link

https://www.uswheeladapters.com/hub-centric-rings/

She is a beauty. Good luck.

Thanks. I am waiting to see once wheels get here. I got the direct drill 10" wheels for a 12' wide tire. Thanks for the help once again. i'm LOVING the stage 1 upgrade. The heat off the right side is virtually gone. Rode in 104 degrees and didnt feel a thing. Also nice that it sounds like a motorcycle instead of a sewing machine. Will keep you posted. How's your progress?

P.S.S.......

You might want to look into DK's heavy Duty Axle Bearing Retainer Plates (see below). They will help with some of the bending moment changes wide wheels/tires will place on the axle and differential loading. Just sayin...

BTW.... It has been a BEAR getting someone to press the bearings off and press new ones (mandatory) on.... I have been down for three weeks due to this issue. So plan ahead...

View attachment 61617

I actually had Kevin recommend them when I first posted on here and bought them the next day. Had the dealership do the install them.

How's your progress?

I have been at a total standstill (without the trike) for three weeks waiting for the bearing press job from my local dealer. They do not have the ability to do it and farmed it out. But it must be a slow growing season at that farm because my trike has been torn down and sitting too long. My triple trees were supposed to be complete a month ago, but the guy doing them is behind so the front end work is delayed too. This project has had a lot of hurry up and wait. I was ok with all the waiting up to this point as it did not interfere with riding. But this phase has been a drag. It will all come together soon though I'm sure. Looking forward to Fall rides on the River Road north of St. Louis

I have been at a total standstill (without the trike) for three weeks waiting for the bearing press job from my local dealer. They do not have the ability to do it and farmed it out. But it must be a slow growing season at that farm because my trike has been torn down and sitting too long. My triple trees were supposed to be complete a month ago, but the guy doing them is behind so the front end work is delayed too. This project has had a lot of hurry up and wait. I was ok with all the waiting up to this point as it did not interfere with riding. But this phase has been a drag. It will all come together soon though I'm sure. Looking forward to Fall rides on the River Road north of St. Louis

I probably ride that way to Grafton, IL & Pier Marquette state park 8-12 times a year. It's 1 of my favorite rides under 100 miles.

Don't go down 94 to get there, they are destroying that ride putting slurry seal on a road that 1,000 bikes a week ride on. 2 weeks ago, we had to sit for 20 minutes on a weekday to get through there & there is a lot of loose gravel.:gah:

I probably ride that way to Grafton, IL & Pier Marquette state park ...Don't go down 94 to get there,

Yeah...94 has been getting worse for a while. I am right with you on the River Road. Beautiful ride (even with the bugs :D). I like to come back from Pierre Marquette by going north on 100 crossing into Calhoun County at Hardin then down to the Golden Eagle Ferry to 370 to the superslab back home.

I love the out of the box thinking ... so kewl. Curious how all the rubber is gonna handle/ride.

But, I rode a 1965 Sportster in a Pacho hardtail frame with a 16 over springer front end for years. Could only ride it for about 200 miles a day, cause more than that, I'd P$$ blood, even with a kidney belt ... but, it sure looked great ... :D ... Miss that bike ... probably kill me now ... LOL.

I love the out of the box thinking ... so kewl. Curious how all the rubber is gonna handle/ride.

Rides real nice. Gotta get used to the roadster-like width.

I spent a lot of time on the engineering. The wheel spacers were designed to replicate the CG and offset of the stock wheel. I had the tires dynamically balanced and the hubcentric rings keep it dead nuts centered on the HD stock hub. I had it up to 75 mph and no vibration. The reverse systems does not seem to care about the extra weight. The diameter of the tire with the larger diameter front wheel get's me to stock rake/trail. The new triple trees will change that, but the net will be the same as a 1.5" lift kit in the rear with a stock front end.

Welcome to the Trike Talk Community

Join our vibrant online community dedicated to all things Trikes! Whether you're a seasoned rider or just starting out, this is the place to share experiences, tips, and stories about your three-wheeled adventures. Explore modifications, maintenance advice, and rides, all while connecting with fellow trike enthusiasts from around the globe

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
PERuss

Trike Talk Community

Welcome to a community dedicated to the most diverse and fastest growing powersports segment, Motorcycle Trikes. Come join the discussion about the best makes and models, popular modifications and proven performance hacks, trike touring and travel, maintenance, meetups and more!

Register Already a member? Login

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
PERuss
 photo 260e2760-d89e-45b2-8675-2bc26fb3d465.jpg

photo Trike-Talk-150-x-200.gif

photo DK Trike Talk Right side banner 19.jpg

Merziere Reverser

photo 9796095c-0d4b-4a9b-88ed-efe4c498d084.png
 photo f9866e4e-75c5-471a-86f5-5e72a446ecc3.png