Best rake angle for a Vmax trike? + 2nd / 3rd Q

J-max

Aug 19, 2022
taunton, somerset, UK
I'm in UK.

Currently my Vmax has a stock front end & is an absolute pig to steer. I've seen plenty of comments about 5.5 - 6 deg rake kits for other trikes. Is that best for the Vmax. If not could someone tell me the ideal trail length & I can work out the rake angle from there.

2nd Q. what effect does lead have on a trike? I've seen plenty of trikes with huge amounts of rake (so must have lead right).

3rd Q. Assuming I get round to increasing the rake does anyone have any input for front tube spring rating/set up?

[side view of my Tmax.]

Attachments

• GEDC2170.jpg
    GEDC2170.jpg
    1 MB · Views: 42
Thanks.

I've spent 1/2 of today measuring & then calculating how to get my trail down.

I currently have app. 125mm / 5" of trail which is pretty much exactly that of a stock Gen 1 Vmax bike. Massively stable in a straight line, steers like an ocean liner. To get 2" I'm looking to need 4 - 4.5 deg rake on the Ts.

Thanks.

I've spent 1/2 of today measuring & then calculating how to get my trail down.

I currently have app. 125mm / 5" of trail which is pretty much exactly that of a stock Gen 1 Vmax bike. Massively stable in a straight line, steers like an ocean liner. To get 2" I'm looking to need 4 - 4.5 deg rake on the Ts.

1.5 - 2.5 inches works well for me pretty sure u will need at least 5 degrees in the tree

Attachments

• laborday09005.jpg
    laborday09005.jpg
    591.7 KB · Views: 46
  • left f.jpg
    left f.jpg
    98.2 KB · Views: 42
  • right.jpg
    right.jpg
    118.6 KB · Views: 46
Thread-breaker… for just a sec….

Stacebg….

Is that a Kwik-Kamp camper? Caught my eye because it looks identical to the one I had. I had a special zippered “envelope” sewn on the top of mine to stow folding lawn chairs.. loved it. Pulled it behind my Kawasaki Voyager 1200.

Thread-breaker… for just a sec….

Stacebg….

Is that a Kwik-Kamp camper? Caught my eye because it looks identical to the one I had. I had a special zippered “envelope” sewn on the top of mine to stow folding lawn chairs.. loved it. Pulled it behind my Kawasaki Voyager 1200.

yup that is it... guess what i used to pull it with!!

Attachments

• lr.JPG
    lr.JPG
    65.9 KB · Views: 44
  • KZ SHOP.jpg
    KZ SHOP.jpg
    221.6 KB · Views: 40
  • P1010025.JPG
    P1010025.JPG
    863.1 KB · Views: 47
  • P1010013.JPG
    P1010013.JPG
    447.5 KB · Views: 39
  • P1010018.jpg
    P1010018.jpg
    281.5 KB · Views: 40
Stacebg - that's a nice trike, Chunky.

I used RB Racing's trail calc & direct measurements from my trike. 4 deg quoted 2.27" trail, 5 deg gave 1.6". I'm still looking for a supplier, waiting to hear from someone. I've come up with a simple(ish) design for adjustable trees but no idea how much these would cost make. Would be useful to able to dial in just what I want though.

Thanks for letting me know what you have.

Stacebg - that's a nice trike, Chunky.

I used RB Racing's trail calc & direct measurements from my trike. 4 deg quoted 2.27" trail, 5 deg gave 1.6". I'm still looking for a supplier, waiting to hear from someone. I've come up with a simple(ish) design for adjustable trees but no idea how much these would cost make. Would be useful to able to dial in just what I want though.

Thanks for letting me know what you have.

number seem about right....personally i would go with 5 care to share that design?

number seem about right....personally i would go with 5 care to share that design?

I keep hearing 5deg for the Vmax so I'll go with that if I can't do the adjustables.

Sure I'll post my design once I've sketched it out. May even do a separate thread for that.

Picked up some R1 tubes today from a carboot sale (sim to a garage sale only in a field with lots of other people). So I'm off searching how these are fitted to a Vmax. I know it's a popular 'upgrade' but they're 5" shorter than the OEMs.

I keep hearing 5deg for the Vmax so I'll go with that if I can't do the adjustables.

Sure I'll post my design once I've sketched it out. May even do a separate thread for that.

Picked up some R1 tubes today from a carboot sale (sim to a garage sale only in a field with lots of other people). So I'm off searching how these are fitted to a Vmax. I know it's a popular 'upgrade' but they're 5" shorter than the OEMs.

not sure how that works being 5" shorter... even wore w the tree u need 1-1/2 - 2 to keep bike level when you rake the trees keep us posted

not sure how that works being 5" shorter... even wore w the tree u need 1-1/2 - 2 to keep bike level when you rake the trees keep us posted

While not common R1 (USD) swaps are a known thing for V-max the bike. Slip on extensions are used, just mine will need to be longer &/or dropped down clamps on the replacement trees. Also beefier springs. As I know I'll raked trees (for my own comfort) I figured I go the whole hog as these tubes turned up cheap.

I'll certainly keep you all updated but this isn't going to be a quick thing to do.

Harley used to make adjustable trees for sidecar use. I typed in Harley adjustable trees and I see some companies are making variations of them. They are for Harleys but it might give you some ideas.

Harley used to make adjustable trees for sidecar use. I typed in Harley adjustable trees and I see some companies are making variations of them. They are for Harleys but it might give you some ideas.

Thanks for that. I was thinking this may have been done before. This one is very similar to what I have in mind.

th-3799546791.jpeg

Welcome to the Trike Talk Community

Join our vibrant online community dedicated to all things Trikes! Whether you're a seasoned rider or just starting out, this is the place to share experiences, tips, and stories about your three-wheeled adventures. Explore modifications, maintenance advice, and rides, all while connecting with fellow trike enthusiasts from around the globe

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
PERuss

Trike Talk Community

Welcome to a community dedicated to the most diverse and fastest growing powersports segment, Motorcycle Trikes. Come join the discussion about the best makes and models, popular modifications and proven performance hacks, trike touring and travel, maintenance, meetups and more!

Register Already a member? Login

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
PERuss
 photo 260e2760-d89e-45b2-8675-2bc26fb3d465.jpg

photo Trike-Talk-150-x-200.gif

photo DK Trike Talk Right side banner 19.jpg

Merziere Reverser

photo 9796095c-0d4b-4a9b-88ed-efe4c498d084.png
 photo f9866e4e-75c5-471a-86f5-5e72a446ecc3.png