Best rake angle for a Vmax trike? + 2nd / 3rd Q

I'm in UK.

Currently my Vmax has a stock front end & is an absolute pig to steer. I've seen plenty of comments about 5.5 - 6 deg rake kits for other trikes. Is that best for the Vmax. If not could someone tell me the ideal trail length & I can work out the rake angle from there.

2nd Q. what effect does lead have on a trike? I've seen plenty of trikes with huge amounts of rake (so must have lead right).

3rd Q. Assuming I get round to increasing the rake does anyone have any input for front tube spring rating/set up?

[side view of my Tmax.]

Attachments

• GEDC2170.jpg
    GEDC2170.jpg
    1 MB · Views: 42
Thanks.

I've spent 1/2 of today measuring & then calculating how to get my trail down.

I currently have app. 125mm / 5" of trail which is pretty much exactly that of a stock Gen 1 Vmax bike. Massively stable in a straight line, steers like an ocean liner. To get 2" I'm looking to need 4 - 4.5 deg rake on the Ts.

Thanks.

I've spent 1/2 of today measuring & then calculating how to get my trail down.

I currently have app. 125mm / 5" of trail which is pretty much exactly that of a stock Gen 1 Vmax bike. Massively stable in a straight line, steers like an ocean liner. To get 2" I'm looking to need 4 - 4.5 deg rake on the Ts.

1.5 - 2.5 inches works well for me pretty sure u will need at least 5 degrees in the tree

Attachments

• laborday09005.jpg
    laborday09005.jpg
    591.7 KB · Views: 46
  • left f.jpg
    left f.jpg
    98.2 KB · Views: 42
  • right.jpg
    right.jpg
    118.6 KB · Views: 46
Thread-breaker… for just a sec….

Stacebg….

Is that a Kwik-Kamp camper? Caught my eye because it looks identical to the one I had. I had a special zippered “envelope” sewn on the top of mine to stow folding lawn chairs.. loved it. Pulled it behind my Kawasaki Voyager 1200.

Thread-breaker… for just a sec….

Stacebg….

Is that a Kwik-Kamp camper? Caught my eye because it looks identical to the one I had. I had a special zippered “envelope” sewn on the top of mine to stow folding lawn chairs.. loved it. Pulled it behind my Kawasaki Voyager 1200.

yup that is it... guess what i used to pull it with!!

Attachments

• lr.JPG
    lr.JPG
    65.9 KB · Views: 44
  • KZ SHOP.jpg
    KZ SHOP.jpg
    221.6 KB · Views: 40
  • P1010025.JPG
    P1010025.JPG
    863.1 KB · Views: 47
  • P1010013.JPG
    P1010013.JPG
    447.5 KB · Views: 39
  • P1010018.jpg
    P1010018.jpg
    281.5 KB · Views: 40
Stacebg - that's a nice trike, Chunky.

I used RB Racing's trail calc & direct measurements from my trike. 4 deg quoted 2.27" trail, 5 deg gave 1.6". I'm still looking for a supplier, waiting to hear from someone. I've come up with a simple(ish) design for adjustable trees but no idea how much these would cost make. Would be useful to able to dial in just what I want though.

Thanks for letting me know what you have.

Stacebg - that's a nice trike, Chunky.

I used RB Racing's trail calc & direct measurements from my trike. 4 deg quoted 2.27" trail, 5 deg gave 1.6". I'm still looking for a supplier, waiting to hear from someone. I've come up with a simple(ish) design for adjustable trees but no idea how much these would cost make. Would be useful to able to dial in just what I want though.

Thanks for letting me know what you have.

number seem about right....personally i would go with 5 care to share that design?

number seem about right....personally i would go with 5 care to share that design?

I keep hearing 5deg for the Vmax so I'll go with that if I can't do the adjustables.

Sure I'll post my design once I've sketched it out. May even do a separate thread for that.

Picked up some R1 tubes today from a carboot sale (sim to a garage sale only in a field with lots of other people). So I'm off searching how these are fitted to a Vmax. I know it's a popular 'upgrade' but they're 5" shorter than the OEMs.

I keep hearing 5deg for the Vmax so I'll go with that if I can't do the adjustables.

Sure I'll post my design once I've sketched it out. May even do a separate thread for that.

Picked up some R1 tubes today from a carboot sale (sim to a garage sale only in a field with lots of other people). So I'm off searching how these are fitted to a Vmax. I know it's a popular 'upgrade' but they're 5" shorter than the OEMs.

not sure how that works being 5" shorter... even wore w the tree u need 1-1/2 - 2 to keep bike level when you rake the trees keep us posted

not sure how that works being 5" shorter... even wore w the tree u need 1-1/2 - 2 to keep bike level when you rake the trees keep us posted

While not common R1 (USD) swaps are a known thing for V-max the bike. Slip on extensions are used, just mine will need to be longer &/or dropped down clamps on the replacement trees. Also beefier springs. As I know I'll raked trees (for my own comfort) I figured I go the whole hog as these tubes turned up cheap.

I'll certainly keep you all updated but this isn't going to be a quick thing to do.

Harley used to make adjustable trees for sidecar use. I typed in Harley adjustable trees and I see some companies are making variations of them. They are for Harleys but it might give you some ideas.

Harley used to make adjustable trees for sidecar use. I typed in Harley adjustable trees and I see some companies are making variations of them. They are for Harleys but it might give you some ideas.

Thanks for that. I was thinking this may have been done before. This one is very similar to what I have in mind.

th-3799546791.jpeg

Thanks for that. I was thinking this may have been done before. This one is very similar to what I have in mind.

View attachment 109999

that pretty much what i made ..i used the stock hd lower part that clamps the the tube i made the the part it bolts to because the v max stem is not the same as the hd

i have not seen this particular one before how much is it?

Back