Does your Freewheeler idle smoothly?

Reaction score
DW's 2022 FLRT seems to surge (a little bit - maybe 100 RPM) about once every second or so at idle. Doesn't seem normal to me so I wonder if anybody else has this problem.

It's an M8 114c.i.

My twinkie doesn't do that and her Evo before this didn't do it.

DW's 2022 FLRT seems to surge (a little bit - maybe 100 RPM) about once every second or so at idle. Doesn't seem normal to me so I wonder if anybody else has this problem.

It's an M8 114c.i.

My twinkie doesn't do that and her Evo before this didn't do it.

Check to see if your bike's EITMS system is activated. If it in on, what you describe is exactly what happens.

When you are stopped in traffic the EITMS if enabled will kick in and idle will be up and seem uneven

If you do not have the EITMS enabled it should idle smooth and not vary up or down +or - 10 RPM, typical( idle set by the computer is ) 950

How do I check if EITMS is activated?

Every SECOND it surges?

EITMS can be enabled or disabled by performing the following procedure:

1. Turn ignition switch ON. Push the engine OFF/RUN switch on the right handlebar to the RUN position.

2. Push the throttle to roll-off position and hold.

3. See Operation -+ Instruments - , Indicator Lamps..

4. Repeat the procedure to enable or disable EITMS.

I've rode some M8's that the engine surged like your speaking of. I haven't been mine since December but I don't remember it doing that. Hopefully I'll get a ride in a couple of weeks and I'll pay attention to that. It's under warranty take it to the dealer and have them look at it.

Finally got around to trying disabling EITMS. I did it several times and it made no difference whatsoever. After warming up for a couple of minutes with smooth idle, it began surging around 200 rpm every second or so.

It doesn't bother DW who rides the trike (she doesn't hear it) but it bothers me when we sit beside each other waiting for a light.

Finally got around to trying disabling EITMS. I did it several times and it made no difference whatsoever. After warming up for a couple of minutes with smooth idle, it began surging around 200 rpm every second or so.

It doesn't bother DW who rides the trike (she doesn't hear it) but it bothers me when we sit beside each other waiting for a light.

Have your dealer look at it under warranty, it should not surge like that

Sorry it did not help. Since it is a 22, once the weathers get nicer, consider riding it in and asking the service guys to take a look.

Good luck

We went for a little ride last weekend. I did not notice any surging of the motor. Felt great to get a ride in on it. Hope you get yours checked out.

Trike Talk Community

Welcome to a community dedicated to the most diverse and fastest growing powersports segment, Motorcycle Trikes. Come join the discussion about the best makes and models, popular modifications and proven performance hacks, trike touring and travel, maintenance, meetups and more!

Register Already a member? Login

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
wheeza
 photo 260e2760-d89e-45b2-8675-2bc26fb3d465.jpg

photo Trike-Talk-150-x-200.gif

photo DK Trike Talk Right side banner 19.jpg

Merziere Reverser

photo 9796095c-0d4b-4a9b-88ed-efe4c498d084.png
 photo f9866e4e-75c5-471a-86f5-5e72a446ecc3.png