doing the conversion myself, suggestions welcome

Well, i am making gains.

I have the swing arm and axle in place, I wasted part of a day due to champions instruction manual when mounting the shock tower.
At first i thought they sent me the wrong parts as the the tower was not going to mount as the instructions and illistrations said.
I called champion and Bill Smith got me with a tech. guy within a short time.
He took my info and went in search of their installation mechanics.

In the mean time i figured out a way that would mount the tower.
The tech guy called me back within an hour and half with a solution, I'm
glad he came up with the same one i did.

(ThumbUp I have to say champion was right on hand to help me with problems. To my way of thinking they were a class act! They got on it immidiatly. ThumbUp)

The kit is fairly straight forward but the instructions sometimes contradict themselves, and there has been a couple of times when i have completed a step and two steps later it requies me to unbolt what i just did to complete.
I guess that must just be so that i don't forget how i did it?

I try now now to read a few steps ahead of where i'm at to anticipate whats ahead and save some repeats. The truth is any mechanic worth his gravy does that in the first place, so i really shouldn't complain.

I am starting to see the project coming together and wait to see what it becomes?

well i am somewhat amazed at overnight change in your appearance ABA!
There is just something about you that's different.
Did you get contacts or sumpun?

I have been making slow progress on my trike.

ThumbUp I have the shocks installed and the rear end,drive pulleys etc. aligned.
Dr. appointments and such are getting in the way of my time to work on it.
I am in the process of mounting the exhaust but if i follow the instructions the pipe is going to hit on the body frame. I got it figured out how to modify it to clear. I have to change the mufflers to fit the bike and not the bike to fit the muffler assembly. I don't want to risk cracking the exhaust at the head.
The rubber vibration mounts on the exhaust will work with modification.

:Shrug: The other problem i discovered is that the instructions tell you to move the relays off the outside of the oil tank and relocate them inside the frame but but they don't tell you how? the wiring is not long enough to attach the relays to the side of the batt. box, so i am welding a tab off the bottom of the batt. box to hang down lower to mount the relays on and take the strain off the wiring.

:Shrug: :Crap:
The other thing that threw me, is that they sent a large radiator clamp to wrap around the whole works including batt. and box to hold the battery down, and there is no way to make that system work either. :)p you blew it on that champion, very unproffessional). You would have to have two of the clamps end to end to cobble up something only an amature or a drunk would put on his bike.

ThumbUp I don't mind welding a couple of 6" bolts onto the side of the batt. box and making a top plate to fit over the bolts and sit on top the battery to hold it down, Because the system they design is down right chicken crap and i would only use something like it for a road emergency, and pray no one ever seen it?

Looks like your making good progress.
thanks Bro.
I was warned that you always have to tickle some things into place.
It seems that the instructions read out in a fasion that are primarily for folks that do allot of conversions and assume a previous knowledge?

A novice has to spend some time sorting out their intent. That said, The champion kit is fairly straight forward unit.

I still have some peices sitting in bags, that in reading ahead and looking at illistrations, I have yet to see where they go?
I assume their purpose will become clear at some point?

I have been making slow progress on my trike.

ThumbUp I have the shocks installed and the rear end,drive pulleys etc. aligned.
Dr. appointments and such are getting in the way of my time to work on it.
I am in the process of mounting the exhaust but if i follow the instructions the pipe is going to hit on the body frame. I got it figured out how to modify it to clear. I have to change the mufflers to fit the bike and not the bike to fit the muffler assembly. I don't want to risk cracking the exhaust at the head.
The rubber vibration mounts on the exhaust will work with modification.

:Shrug: The other problem i discovered is that the instructions tell you to move the relays off the outside of the oil tank and relocate them inside the frame but but they don't tell you how? the wiring is not long enough to attach the relays to the side of the batt. box, so i am welding a tab off the bottom of the batt. box to hang down lower to mount the relays on and take the strain off the wiring.

:Shrug: :Crap:
The other thing that threw me, is that they sent a large radiator clamp to wrap around the whole works including batt. and box to hold the battery down, and there is no way to make that system work either. :)p you blew it on that champion, very unproffessional). You would have to have two of the clamps end to end to cobble up something only an amature or a drunk would put on his bike.

ThumbUp I don't mind welding a couple of 6" bolts onto the side of the batt. box and making a top plate to fit over the bolts and sit on top the battery to hold it down, Because the system they design is down right chicken crap and i would only use something like it for a road emergency, and pray no one ever seen it?
I am really tired today!
New medication, It may take time to get used to? I have good day's and not so good day's.
But i whipped all the demons from yesterday.
I was looking at the upper motor mount strengthening kit today and i rally cant see any problem with attaching the braces by welding them in place, rather than using the epoxy?
Anybody see a problem with that?

I am really tired today!
New medication, It may take time to get used to? I have good day's and not so good day's.
But i whipped all the demons from yesterday.
I was looking at the upper motor mount strengthening kit today and i rally cant see any problem with attaching the braces by welding them in place, rather than using the epoxy?
Anybody see a problem with that?

I hope you don't run into a problem with the frame after welding on it. TIG it if possible.
:Trike1:

I hope you don't run into a problem with the frame after welding on it. TIG it if possible.
:Trike1:
I have a wire feed but not a tig.
I looked in the area around where i want to weld and see that welds are running both horizontal and vertical.
As you probably know this is wide area on the neck and not just tubing.

I have A softail with a frankenstein rear. but have 6 degrees raked trees it looks nice but.........way too light up front. If I where to do jt again I would put the rear on with stock trees and see how it handles. Good luck mate

I have A softail with a frankenstein rear. but have 6 degrees raked trees it looks nice but.........way too light up front. If I where to do jt again I would put the rear on with stock trees and see how it handles. Good luck mate
Its not often i hear someone talk about the steering being to quick!
I bet it is nice looking scooter.

My friend has a springer softail -lehman, and it would sure benifit from being raked.
I see they are making a tree with a raked stem for that front end.

I got the top motor mount reinforcement put on the frame today.
I welded it instead of using the epoxy. Bill smith at champion gave his blessings to the idea.

I got the gas tank on and the engine fired up for first time since this conversion began.
The Bassani pipes sound nice! Allot louder than my stock pipes. I love the way the old single cam engines sound.

I still need to bleed all the brakes.

I haven't test run the rear end yet, I was just to tired and little things were frustrating me.
I hate it when a problem with an inanimate object pisses me off, It's time to admit i'm tired, and quit for the day

Hey PCOMBE...Keep us informed on how the kit process is going..I have a 93 FLHS and will be doing a kit this fall...Some say the EVO doesn't have enuf power but I disagree.!! My EVO has gone everywhere I've ever asked it to...I'm not gonna race the thing nor do I do burnouts !!! It does seem like its going to be hard to get to the triple tree..I,m probably going to go with the Champion kit also..Did you order your from Bazooka? He is a Champion dealer, correct ??
Dave

Back