Goldwing trike vs harley triglide

I liked my 2010 TG and put 52,000 miles on it. I just bought a new GL1800 nav CSC Viper. I have put 12,000 miles on the Goldwing. Two different trikes, I think the Honda will hold up better.

KentuckyBlue;197303[U said:
The wing is a great motorcycle but the foot position kills me...very uncomfortable in the long ride...[/U]

I have to agree 100% about the Wing's foot position! Not comfortable at all for the long haul. But at the same time, I love the Wing's engine! You just can't beat those horizontally opposed engines, imho. Smooth and powerful! I guess that's why I also own a Subaru, lol.

What I did to try and improve the Wing's foot position was install Roadsmith's 'Comfort Controls'. They move the shifter and rear brake 3" forward and 1" down. Granted, it's no where near the Harley's foot position or other cruisers, but it is clearly an improvement and for me makes the difference in a more comfortable foot/leg stance. ThumbUp

Now you have gone and burst the Harley 'personna'......Some folks think that Harley is "American Made". Nothing wrong with that, just not exactly as it appears.

Now you have gone and burst the Harley 'personna'......Some folks think that Harley is "American Made". Nothing wrong with that, just not exactly as it appears.

At least they market some cool cloths and an image if one is into that sort of thing:cxtv:. I will say I'm still having a lot of fun with my 06 Ultra Classic, I think its one of the last decent production years.

i like the comments on both trikes and have to agree with both sides on pro's and cons. myself, i am a Harley man and if Harley would get their heads out of their asses and build trikes with a lot bigger engine a lot of our problems would already be solved, but of course they won't. i also think that the tri-glides are to boxy looking and could use some more curves like the Honda's and that is why many riders have their own bike triked out with a different kit builder rather than the original tri-glide. i know the old saying , if it ain't broke don't fix it but i am still looking at the same tri-glide looks for the last 5 years with very few exterior changes. i do not mean to offend anybody out there, just my opinion.

No offense I'm sure. Capt Dan, everyone has an opinion be out there and express it, shouldn't be a problem. By the way, hello from down the road at Davenport. Find the trike you feel comfortable with and a good installer, you'll be a happy rider.

Spoke with a two wheel Harley driver yesterday. He considered his Harley a "bucket of bolts" compared to his GW. The Harley he was riding even had a GWRRA sticker on it! His opinion, not mine.

Nothing wrong with a GW, their very quiet, [like an elect. motor], very smooth, lots of Tupperware, and like someone here said,

very "BORING":vxtyaq:.

I really like all motorcycles, but everyone knows that Harley is the most sought after MC in the world, all the rest can try to make theirs look like a Harley, sound like a Harley, but they all just fall short, JMO, of course :D.

A bit off-topic,,,. I love the power, comfort and obvious reliability of the GoldWing. The only thing I don't like about it is the foot position. :gah: But I guess there has to be a trade off if you want a tried and true horizontally opposed engine. That being said, if money weren't an issue I'd also love to have a nice cruiser. And at one point, it would've been a Harley. But not now. My dream bike was always an Indian Chief. :10: Now that they're being produced again, I've had my eye constantly on their website's, reading all about them and I'm planning on taking a ride to see one. But,,,, maybe that would be a mistake,,,.

Why tease myself, lol. Enough of my rambling for now. ;)

A bit off-topic,,,. I love the power, comfort and obvious reliability of the GoldWing. The only thing I don't like about it is the foot position. :gah: But I guess there has to be a trade off if you want a tried and true horizontally opposed engine. That being said, if money weren't an issue I'd also love to have a nice cruiser. And at one point, it would've been a Harley. But not now. My dream bike was always an Indian Chief. :10: Now that they're being produced again, I've had my eye constantly on their website's, reading all about them and I'm planning on taking a ride to see one. But,,,, maybe that would be a mistake,,,. Why tease myself, lol. Enough of my rambling for now. ;)

The power and reliability is what brought me to the Wing, I agree it does take a little fiddling to get the fit just right, I've found foot boards and highway pegs do the trick for me. Fortunately I have a 2 wheel Harley to play with.

The power and reliability is what brought me to the Wing, I agree it does take a little fiddling to get the fit just right, I've found foot boards and highway pegs do the trick for me. Fortunately I have a 2 wheel Harley to play with.

Even with Roadsmith's 'Comfort Controls', Highway pegs, risers, a Hartco Pro-Tour seat along with an 'Air Hawk-R' cushion, the leg/foot position still leaves a bit to be desired. But the way I have my Wing-Smith setup up now, it's as close as I'll ever get it regarding a comfortable leg/foot stance.

Concur Rich ... Have floorboards and heal/toe shifter on my Roadsmith but the full foot road pegs gives me
the total stretch on the Goldwing .. Also, GW has the power to pull the Roadsmith with very little if any
loss in performance. Yeah, lost 2mpg on mileage when I did the Roadsmith conversion, so went ahead and
added the 5gal aux tank to make up for the 38mpg I normally get ... Have 4 friends who have sold their
Tri-glide trikes and gone with the GW/Roadsmith conversion.. All 4, including myself will never look back ..

I have rode Harleys and Hondas and always said that if I bought a trike, it would be a Honda Gold Wing. I currently own a 2011 Harley limited and a 2007 Honda Gold Wing Trike. Love the Harley for the twisties and the wing for trips. The Harley trike to me looks like it is not complete. The Gold Wing on the on the other hand looks more finished. My 2 cts.

I am going to a trike as soon as I sell my 2000 Electra Glide, and I really took a lot in from these posts. I am doing this more for my wife than I and it looks like the Goldwing Trike is the way to go , but when its time to really get down to finding one its all about the deals that are out there at the time.
Thanks for posting this subject.

NEWS FLASH !!! Honda does not make a trike !!!!!!!! Most honda dealers will not warranty the factory warranty if it has been butchered up or modified !! The reason honda and yamaha doesn't build trikes. The U S Congress cut a deal with honda and yamaha ! A law was passed to protect them from 3 wheeler accident lawsuits ...... But they had to sign a deal. Agreeing to not build anymore 3 wheelers for public use. !!!!!!

Huh? I don't quite get that. If there's such a law, how did they miss Harley?

because Harley did not make a 3 wheel atv ...... can am didn't either......

- - - Updated - - -

my wife rides a 1999 with CSC kit we both love it ...... but for longer rides the leg position kills my knees...... I ride an ultra limited the leg comfort is so much better than a goldwing...... but the honda is as good as it gets on any other level........

NEWS FLASH !!! Honda does not make a trike !!!!!!!! Most honda dealers will not warranty the factory warranty if it has been butchered up or modified !! The reason honda and yamaha doesn't build trikes. The U S Congress cut a deal with honda and yamaha ! A law was passed to protect them from 3 wheeler accident lawsuits ...... But they had to sign a deal. Agreeing to not build anymore 3 wheelers for public use. !!!!!!

Whether or not a Honda dealer will or will not warranty a triked Goldwing is a mixed bag. Some dealers could care less what has been done to it while others are like a stick in the mud. Most dealers who sell conversions will slip warranty work on triked bikes past the mothership without them knowing.

If the reason Honda doesn't produce a trike is because Yamaha and Honda cut a deal with Congress then Kawasaki must not have? Kawasaki used to produce a three wheeler.

Welcome to the Trike Talk Community

Join our vibrant online community dedicated to all things Trikes! Whether you're a seasoned rider or just starting out, this is the place to share experiences, tips, and stories about your three-wheeled adventures. Explore modifications, maintenance advice, and rides, all while connecting with fellow trike enthusiasts from around the globe

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
HomeFree

Trike Talk Community

Welcome to a community dedicated to the most diverse and fastest growing powersports segment, Motorcycle Trikes. Come join the discussion about the best makes and models, popular modifications and proven performance hacks, trike touring and travel, maintenance, meetups and more!

Register Already a member? Login

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
HomeFree
 photo 260e2760-d89e-45b2-8675-2bc26fb3d465.jpg

photo Trike-Talk-150-x-200.gif

photo DK Trike Talk Right side banner 19.jpg

Merziere Reverser

photo 9796095c-0d4b-4a9b-88ed-efe4c498d084.png
 photo f9866e4e-75c5-471a-86f5-5e72a446ecc3.png