Goldwing trike vs harley triglide

The Honda dealership I take my trike to in Harrisonburg has no problems doing warranty work on Wings with trike conversions. They are also an authorized MotorTrike installer but have had no issues working on my Roadsmith. Just an FYI.

NEWS FLASH !!! The reason honda and yamaha doesn't build trikes. The U S Congress cut a deal with honda and yamaha ! A law was passed to protect them from 3 wheeler accident lawsuits ...... But they had to sign a deal. Agreeing to not build anymore 3 wheelers for public use. !!!!!!

And you know about this deal - how?
And just how are Honda and Yamaha protected from 3-wheeler law suits??
Pleaser clue me in - quote the law.

I heard that back in the 80s thought it was a rumor. Never saw the law in writing. People were suing Honda for running over their own feet and tipping over. Honda was the one that said they would never build another 3 wheeler, I don't think it is a Fed law. I'm 5'6" tall 180 lb and the Wing is perfect. I have highway pegs on the crash rails for rides longer than 10 miles. Truth is you really do not ever have to shift a Wing once you go over 25 MPH. I can drop to 30 MPH in 5th running 2 up and accelerate to 80 with out shifting. So I keep my feet off the pegs unless I have to stop.
I guess that it might not be true Honda build this
http://www.gizmag.com/hondas-50cc-three-wheeled-gyro-cargo-scooter/13533/

I am personally a all Harley guy and would not own anything else. i do not have any objections or cons about the other makers as i think the most important thing is to enjoy your ride and the open road wherever it may be. if we all stick together we get things done in the big house but if we don't they will be free to make more stupid restrictions against all of us no matter what we ride. this argument is like comparing Chevy against Ford, who cares, choose what you like and go for it. nobody ever can win this debate so whatever you enjoy ride the Hell out of it and be safe.

NEWS FLASH !!! Honda does not make a trike !!!!!!!! Most honda dealers will not warranty the factory warranty if it has been butchered up or modified !! The reason honda and yamaha doesn't build trikes. The U S Congress cut a deal with honda and yamaha ! A law was passed to protect them from 3 wheeler accident lawsuits ...... But they had to sign a deal. Agreeing to not build anymore 3 wheelers for public use. !!!!!!

Yes this is true with Honda. It did include all three wheelers. It was due to many people getting hurt in roll overs accidents. As our government does many times there was a end date. At the end of ten years they could go back to making them again. This left a very bad taste in Honda's mouth, "damn government telling us corporations what we can do". I guess they still have that bad taste in their mouth.

Here's a story on it but it doesn't include the final legal battle between the gov and Honda.

http://corporate.findlaw.com/litigation-disputes/honda-atv-litigation-in-retrospect.html

And a bit more.

Outlawed by Congress

Outlawed in 1988, Congress banned future sales of three-wheeled ATVs but did not take action to recall the vehicles already sold. The government felt that three-wheeled ATVs were highly dangerous since they accounted for over 7,000 off-road accidents each month.

Whether or not a Honda dealer will or will not warranty a triked Goldwing is a mixed bag. Some dealers could care less what has been done to it while others are like a stick in the mud. Most dealers who sell conversions will slip warranty work on triked bikes past the mothership without them knowing.

If the reason Honda doesn't produce a trike is because Yamaha and Honda cut a deal with Congress then Kawasaki must not have? Kawasaki used to produce a three wheeler.

Kawasaki and Suzuki may or may not have got in on the lawsuit protection. But i am sure they would have ? I was using the main manufactures : honda and yamaha for reference !! Also i don't give a Rip if you guys believe me or not !!!!!! You don't think honda knows there is a market for trikes ?

The Honda dealership I take my trike to in Harrisonburg has no problems doing warranty work on Wings with trike conversions. They are also an authorized MotorTrike installer but have had no issues working on my Roadsmith. Just an FYI.

FYI the honda dealer in my area Laurel,Ms will not honer any warranty work if the goldwing has been triked...... I love the goldwing trike ...... but i was talking to a salesman at russellville ,Arkansas honda about the warranty..... He stammered all around the question but never answered the question directly on motor or transmission repairs ??? He assured that the trike add on parts has a warranty,But never gaurenteed me of the drivetrain warranty!!!!!!!!!! So do you travel 1000 miles to a specific dealer for warranty work????? JUST SAYING

Kawasaki and Suzuki may or may not have got in on the lawsuit protection. But i am sure they would have ? I was using the main manufactures : honda and yamaha for reference !! Also i don't give a Rip if you guys believe me or not !!!!!! You don't think honda knows there is a market for trikes ?

I think the only reason Honda hasn't expressed an interest in getting into the Trike market is they focus more on the smaller stuff and sell lots of it. Heavy motorcycles is only a very small percentage of their business.

Way back when Honda made the early 3 wheeler ATVs they lost a suit against them. Unfortunately this was a case of ignorance caused by the riders and then they sued Honda for getting hurt. Then the court made Honda buy back all of the ATVs to get them off of the market. Considering what a beating Honda took from our legal system on rider stupidity I would think twice about marketing a 3 wheeler again. But like a previous poster also said,big bikes are a small piece of Hondas market. They make most of their money over in the European/Asian market with all of the smaller displacement bikes. Trikes are popular but they only fit in a small segment of the market and if you look at the age and income group youll see why it wouldnt make sense for a major manufacturer to get into it.

I talked to a large Honda dealer in Danbury , Ct.
I said I noticed you have no Gold wings on the floor. He says
" they take up a lot of real estate. We sell fewer of them than the small stuff. Once we sell a wing we never see that person again. On the other hand I sell one of these little dirt bikes and Dad is in here every weekend getting replacement parts. ( clutch levers , cables Handle bars, headlights, tail light lenses,turn signal lights) get the picture. The profit margin is also higher on the 250cc and smaller. "

Only opinion but here tis. Honda GW has a gear driven transmission and a drive shaft for rear drive. With the added weight of a trike, this could be more reliable than a Harley chain drive transmission and belt driven rear drive. If I am wrong feel free to correct me because bad info is harmful.

IMHO once you modify your Harley for more power less heat etc. I'm quite sure you can be treading on thin ice with the dealer being happy to fix it under warrantee.

Good lord, i have no problem with the original post made on this thread, it was a straight forward comparison in his opinion?

In less than a month my 89 tour glide ultra will celebrate it's 25th birthday.

I paid $12,500.00 for it brand new and rode it for 24 years as a two wheeler with no major work required. The bike it's self lists for around $6,000 today.

I triked it last spring and and have around $8,000 into the conversion.

Do the math and tell me it was a bad investment?

Their are wings on the road with the same amount of years on them, my cousin has a Yamaha venture royal that is a couple years older than mine.

forum Member 86-1200 is still enjoying his ride, what have you got with your new ones other than more tech crap to wrong?

I wouldn't trade my ancient Harley for anything on todays market including the wing or tri-glide.

Yes, that makes me a bad ass brand loyal DEVIANT, but i'm not alone.

No Mr. P.
That doesn't mean you're "Deviant"-you're the "Norm" ThumbUp

That defines you as a Zealot.
I was always taught that Loyal, Committed, Devoted, Passionate, Stalwart, etc. were virtuous Characteristics.

Pretty sure Virtues aren't affected by either Brand choice.
Seems the two "Sides" have more inherent commonalities than differences.

It's not WHAT You Ride-It's THAT YOU RIDE :AllGood:

My son with his old HD's is much the same does not trust the new stuff ,he can and does tear down his bikes and does a good job he has a 98 springer that he rides almost every day and you can eat off it, it's that clean. As for my 2010 Honda Goldwing I have it ,I ride it, but am not in love with it.

My son with his old HD's is much the same does not trust the new stuff ,he can and does tear down his bikes and does a good job he has a 98 springer that he rides almost every day and you can eat off it, it's that clean. As for my 2010 Honda Goldwing I have it ,I ride it, but am not in love with it.

Ah Ha, therein may lie the difference?

Welcome to the Trike Talk Community

Join our vibrant online community dedicated to all things Trikes! Whether you're a seasoned rider or just starting out, this is the place to share experiences, tips, and stories about your three-wheeled adventures. Explore modifications, maintenance advice, and rides, all while connecting with fellow trike enthusiasts from around the globe

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Roadrunner1

Trike Talk Community

Welcome to a community dedicated to the most diverse and fastest growing powersports segment, Motorcycle Trikes. Come join the discussion about the best makes and models, popular modifications and proven performance hacks, trike touring and travel, maintenance, meetups and more!

Register Already a member? Login

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Roadrunner1
 photo 260e2760-d89e-45b2-8675-2bc26fb3d465.jpg

photo Trike-Talk-150-x-200.gif

photo DK Trike Talk Right side banner 19.jpg

Merziere Reverser

photo 9796095c-0d4b-4a9b-88ed-efe4c498d084.png
 photo f9866e4e-75c5-471a-86f5-5e72a446ecc3.png