Missing Bolt From Front Intake Manifold?

JTJersey

800+ Posts
Gold Member
Jul 2, 2021
Millville NJ USA
This is about my '23 Freewheeler. Took a 40 mile ride to lunch today. Nothing special, not too hot, no traffic jams. Most of the ride was 55mph and above. Was idling at a traffic light briefly when the exhaust sound changed. Not sure how to describe it. Not a repetitive bang, but that's the closest I can come up with. A slight rev of the motor and it stopped. Nothing unusual while riding. Did it again on the way home and in my garage when I got home. I let it do it for a bit while I checked things. The motor seemed to be vibrating more than usual so I started checking bolts. Nothing loose. While looking around I found a bolt hole on the front manifold mount with no bolt in it. The back head has a bolt in place, but no washer. Can this be causing me a problem?

IMG_20230717_140726554.jpg

Her is an exploded view of the intake

Medium

Had a bolt just like that from my Shovelhead that went right in. Pain in the rear to get to it, but it's in and tight. Going to take it out and listen up for this idling irregularity.

Saving Trouble head parts is a plus, good luck and check for codes, I would be surprised if you do not have a lean DTC

Saving Trouble head parts is a plus, good luck and check for codes, I would be surprised if you do not have a lean DTC

If it comes loose again……..Use…268 red stick loctite and it ain’t coming off again…I used it for my tie link bolts on the front cylinder head (2011 Triglide)…

If it comes loose again……..Use…268 red stick loctite and it ain’t coming off again…I used it for my tie link bolts on the front cylinder head (2011 Triglide)…

Blue loctite would be a better choice IMO, less chance of pulling the threads out of the heads if you have to remove/ replace the intake manifold

Just got back from a 30 mile ride. Had the same problem. When idling at a stop light or stop street it starts making a chugging noise and there's more vibration, almost like the rear cylinder wants to cut out. I don't know if it means anything, but I get noticeably more exhaust coming from the right pipe than the left when it's doing this chugging at idle. No codes anywhere and the plugs don't have but a thousand miles on them from last time I pulled them. And my warranty expires today. Go figure. Thank you Harley.

Blue loctite would be a better choice IMO, less chance of pulling the threads out of the heads if you have to remove/ replace the intake manifold

I’m guessing those threads are a little beat up from rattling off (That was my experience)And if the new bolt does come loose again 268 red will keep the tight…And if? He has to remove it in the future…He’ll Just cross that bridge when he gets to it..

I’m guessing those threads are a little beat up from rattling off (That was my experience)And if the new bolt does come loose again 268 red will keep the tight…And if? He has to remove it in the future…He’ll Just cross that bridge when he gets to it..

I'm not sure there ever was a bolt in there. The manifold bracket didn't have any marks on it like a bolt had been torqued down on it.

Just got back from a 30 mile ride. Had the same problem. When idling at a stop light or stop street it starts making a chugging noise and there's more vibration, almost like the rear cylinder wants to cut out. I don't know if it means anything, but I get noticeably more exhaust coming from the right pipe than the left when it's doing this chugging at idle. No codes anywhere and the plugs don't have but a thousand miles on them from last time I pulled them. And my warranty expires today. Go figure. Thank you Harley.

Did the hot idle mode (I forget the Harley name for it) get turned on somehow? It cuts the fuel to one cylinder at idle (I believe the rear), so that it only pumps air. Supposed to help keep the motor cooler.......

On my former 2018 Tri-Glide, when it was enabled and sitting still at idle, it kinda sounded/felt like what you described....

I hate to say this but this is sounding like a blown rear head gasket

Strange for sure, I would surely expect to see fouled plugs and trouble codes

I hate to say this but this is sounding like a blown rear head gasket

Strange for sure, I would surely expect to see fouled plugs and trouble codes

Sounds to me like the engine, idle temperature management system..(EITMS)….It shuts off the rear cylinder at an idle to keep the engine cool..And it is normal in the summer..

JT turn off the EITMS and try this

1. Turn the ignition switch to the ON position and push the engine OFF/RUN switch on the right handlebar to the RUN position (do not start the motorcycle).
  2. Push the throttle to roll*off position and hold.
  3. See Instrument Lamps. After approximately 3 seconds, the cruise indicator lamp will either flash green (EITMS enabled) or red (EITMS disabled).

Welcome to the Trike Talk Community

Join our vibrant online community dedicated to all things Trikes! Whether you're a seasoned rider or just starting out, this is the place to share experiences, tips, and stories about your three-wheeled adventures. Explore modifications, maintenance advice, and rides, all while connecting with fellow trike enthusiasts from around the globe

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Draven0914
Back