Rear Shock air pressure

Where ?

Since the Tri-Glide is basically a Lehman trike, if you go to the Lehman trike web site you will find their take on rear tire pressure. After testing they found 22 PSI was best for all load conditions. They found that tire manufacturers would not specify any pressures lower than 26 PSI for anything so that is why you see 26 PSI in your owners manual. The Dunlop tires are rated for 1400 lbs at 44 PSI (each) so in theory at 22 PSI they would carry 700 lbs (50%) but I doubt it really works that way. Anyway, 2 tires rated to carry 700 lbs would give you a load capacity of 1400 lbs which is more than the actual weight of the trike. As for tire rotation, I didn't see any directional arrows on the tires so you could swap them side to side but I doubt that would help very much. As a side note, when I took delivery of our trike and got it home I went over it to check shock and tire pressures and found 22 PSI in the rear tires. Since the manual calls for 26 PSI, I aired them up thinking the service dept didn't check it right. Then I saw what Lehman recommended so maybe the service dept knew something after all.

Where on their website did you find this tid bit of information ? Is it contained with in one of the videos ?

Found it : http://www.lehmantrikes.com/assets/d...ook-master.pdf

I have the DK comfort lift. I had 22 lbs of air in rear tires, and 36 in the front. I started with 30 in the shocks, I lowered it by 2 pounds and then ride and continued to lower by 2 lbs and ride until I got the ride I liked. I now have 22 in the rear tires, 36 in the front tire and 20 in the shocks. Jim

Shocks, tires or, both ? There is so much confusion on this subject.

There should be no confusion-

For the front tire the manual says 36psi, and most folks run 36-40psi

For the rear tires the manual says 26psi and most folks run 22-24psi (makes for a bit softer ride)

For the rear shocks the manual is nuts, the best way to find where it is most comfortable for you is to pick any number...then increase/decrease the psi in 2 lb increments until you find where the sweet spot is for you. It is different for everybody, and the only way you will get the best ride is to experiment, keeping in mind that as little as 2psi difference in the shocks can make a significant difference in the ride quality.

Kevin

The unknowing

You know that and, I know that. I even have a sticker on the inside of the tour pack lid I made up with the shock air pressures. The tire pressures for the trike are on a sticker, lower left frame down tube by the oil filter. Applied at the factory, as required by law. There are in my mind's eye, way too many that are simply purchasing and riding off without knowing about these features. It is more so the riders responsibility than the sales person. I am galled at the number of people I come across on other automotive forums that haven't the foggiest idea of where on their car the aforementioned air pressure sticker is on the door jamb of their car (fuel door in the case of my Volvo) let alone know where the hood release is in the footwell.

Just checked all the tires on my 16 tri glide and everything is up to spec. Also checked the rear shocks to make sure they were ok also and found they didn't have any air in them at all. This is a trike that only has 680 mi. on it, someone at the dealer isn't doing their job. I'm going there tomorrow and buying a pump, and put air in them myself, hope there isn't any damage, someone's going to get an ear full tomorrow, this isn't the first time they've screwed up.

Better idea.

Discretion being the better part of valor, buy the pump and suck up as many free donuts or breakfast sandwiches as you can. Your stomach will thank you. :D No air in the shocks is the least of your worries. It could have been worse. You could have had 78% nitrogen in your tires .............. :Coffee:

Just checked all the tires on my 16 tri glide and everything is up to spec. Also checked the rear shocks to make sure they were ok also and found they didn't have any air in them at all. This is a trike that only has 680 mi. on it, someone at the dealer isn't doing their job. I'm going there tomorrow and buying a pump, and put air in them myself, hope there isn't any damage, someone's going to get an ear full tomorrow, this isn't the first time they've screwed up.

I ride 2 up 90% of the time and need to air up the shocks every 150 to 200 miles depending on how rough the road is, buy the pump and use it, your ride will be better.

Just checked all the tires on my 16 tri glide and everything is up to spec. Also checked the rear shocks to make sure they were ok also and found they didn't have any air in them at all. This is a trike that only has 680 mi. on it, someone at the dealer isn't doing their job. I'm going there tomorrow and buying a pump, and put air in them myself, hope there isn't any damage, someone's going to get an ear full tomorrow, this isn't the first time they've screwed up

Just a thought, ''If you are checking the shocks with an air gauge' And not a ''No loss'' shock gauge you could be letting all the air out yourself ....And remember if your going to bleed some air out for any reason... You should pump a few pounds back in before you let air out' To clear the air lines of shock oil...

I ride 2 up 90% of the time and need to air up the shocks every 150 to 200 miles depending on how rough the road is, buy the pump and use it, your ride will be better.
I have a suggestion ............... Dump the old shocks ! Buy a new set from either Surdyke or Boardtracker. The valving changes alone are worth the cost. The shocks used on the Rushmore trike is so much better. I have just shy of 9k on my trike and have never had to add air since the initial adjustment

I have a suggestion ............... Dump the old shocks ! Buy a new set from either Surdyke or Boardtracker. The valving changes alone are worth the cost. The shocks used on the Rushmore trike is so much better. I have just shy of 9k on my trike and have never had to add air since the initial adjustment

Thanks for the information, I will definitely look into them.

The mo-co also uses different fittings now that seal much better than the older ones. As your ride is going on 7 yrs. of age, I would consider new airlines and fittings. No more do they use crush ferrules under brass caps. Another leaker is the Schrader valve. The tiny gasket on the removeable stem can deteriorate with age. Once that happens, it doesn't take long to seep out the air. It's not like a tire blowout. More like a pinhole in a beer can .............. one drip at a time.

The mo-co also uses different fittings now that seal much better than the older ones. As your ride is going on 7 yrs. of age, I would consider new airlines and fittings. No more do they use crush ferrules under brass caps. Another leaker is the Schrader valve. The tiny gasket on the removeable stem can deteriorate with age. Once that happens, it doesn't take long to seep out the air. It's not like a tire blowout. More like a pinhole in a beer can .............. one drip at a time.

Yeah I figured age was starting to be a problem, along with all the mileage.

All is well, I bought the pump and put 30# in the shocks, the trike used to ride like my 55 ridged frame panhead. It's been a while since I've been on a bike not used to having shocks, what a great idea, the trike rides real nice now. My wife insisted on coming to the dealer with me to keep me from getting my dumb ass in trouble.:Shrug:

All is well, I bought the pump and put 30# in the shocks, the trike used to ride like my 55 ridged frame panhead. It's been a while since I've been on a bike not used to having shocks, what a great idea,:xzqxz: the trike rides real nice now. My wife insisted on coming to the dealer with me to keep me from getting my dumb ass in trouble.:Shrug:

Welcome to the Trike Talk Community

Join our vibrant online community dedicated to all things Trikes! Whether you're a seasoned rider or just starting out, this is the place to share experiences, tips, and stories about your three-wheeled adventures. Explore modifications, maintenance advice, and rides, all while connecting with fellow trike enthusiasts from around the globe

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Daddy Lew
Back