Some Changes to the 2019 Freewheeler

I dunno, the stage 2-4 are having oil sumping and oil migration problems more so than stock

There is a article in American Iron Magazine the last 2 issues with a 3rd issue having the conclusion on this very subject. It appears that the need to prevent blow-by from even accruing because of EAU 4 standards is causing pressure build up in the motors. This is aggravated by high RPMs. The pressure is causing the oil pump to cavivtate (sp) and this causes oiling issues. Also they think the added pressure is causing the transmission oil migration.

Reactions: MDO
There is a article in American Iron Magazine the last 2 issues with a 3rd issue having the conclusion on this very subject. It appears that the need to prevent blow-by from even accruing because of EAU 4 standards is causing pressure build up in the motors. This is aggravated by high RPMs. The pressure is causing the oil pump to cavivtate (sp) and this causes oiling issues. Also they think the added pressure is causing the transmission oil migration.

Interesting article

This would be a good reason not to pump up these engines

So much for HD testing these engines over 1 million miles

And now they want the public to buy a new and bigger engine?

I sure hope they have the bugs worked out

That said are the 17-18 owners just flat out stuck?

Reactions: MDO
That color caught my eye on the Freewheeler also, really sharp IMO.

Not sure about the 4 pot brakes tho, probly a 'unit cost' thing.

I was thinking that. If they are just standardizing the 4 piston caliber for all touring models.

It just seemed to me with the extra weight of the trike, the extra braking power was justified.

I have to admit, when you get on the brakes hard on the FW, you don't get that weight transfer like you do on 2 wheelers, but that may be due to those massive car rotors on the rear wheels. They really grab.

I was thinking that. If they are just standardizing the 4 piston caliber for all touring models.

It just seemed to me with the extra weight of the trike, the extra breaking power was justified.

I have to admit, when you get on the brakes hard on the FW, you don't get that weight transfer like you do on 2 wheelers, but that may be due to those massive car rotors on the rear wheels. They really grab.

I thought the flat stopping might be due to the linked brakes but don't really know if the 2 wheel Harleys have linked brakes or not. Certainly impressed with the FW's stopping power tho!

I am wanting more information on the new linked braking system. The old system was hydraulic & I understand it.

Looking at the photo of the 2019 FW, there is only 1 hydraulic line going to the caliper The write up says the brakes are now electronically linked. My initial reaction is they are over complicating the system.

As far as the front suspension, it seems they upgraded the trikes to the same front end they put on the rest of the touring models in 2017.

1 thing that caught my eye in the video, when he gets to the part where he is showing the hand controls/switch packs, the "R" on the left hand control is gone and it has a "T/C" for traction control. Where's the reverse?

I also like the fact that he states that the new adjustable rear shocks are backwards compatible for the 15-18 FW's & the 14 and later Tri's.

UPDATE: I think I answered my own ?. If you go to the 2 minute marh on the video, it looks like they combined the reverse butten with the start button on the r/h side.

Michael, did you notice the tiny round horn on the FXDR model?

It is on the front side of the down tubes near the top

It is cheesy looking unlike the traditional cowbell horn cover we have

I just got back from checking out the 2019 models. They of course had everything but a FW!

2 HD reps & they new nothing about the 2019 models addressing the oil issues..

I got a nice 60 mile ride in steamy STL summer weather at 91° by noon, on the way to 96 with a 106 heat index.:(

Sorry Micheal,

I should have posted that yesterday... Doc's had a bash yesterday and intro'd some of the 19's ...but as you point out ... no Freewheelers.

The article about the breathing issues sounds interesting. I need to read it. Was thinking about one of Kevin's external breather mods to improve oil puking through the carb, I wonder if it would help reduce potential oil migration as well? (assuming case pressure in a major contributing factor)

Saw a beautiful sand white Freewheeler in one of my area's dealer shop. Motor looks great, the traction control replaced the reverse switch (it can be turned off), reverse on right side now and the bike finally has better suspension. Pulled the seat and the preload adjuster is right under the rear frame stiffner. Easy to use. ABS and traction control I don't need, but love the new motor. Cool colors too.

Sorry Micheal,

I should have posted that yesterday... Doc's had a bash yesterday and intro'd some of the 19's ...but as you point out ... no Freewheelers.

The article about the breathing issues sounds interesting. I need to read it. Was thinking about one of Kevin's external breather mods to improve oil puking through the carb, I wonder if it would help reduce potential oil migration as well? (assuming case pressure in a major contributing factor)

I couldn't go yesterday. I installed an external breather system of my own design quiet a few months back & saw increased performance & keeping my engine oil level 1/2 way up the dipstick markings when checked cold, I get no oil blowby at all & I have no oil migration from my tranny.

Mine runs awesome, with my only other engine mod being a K&N air filter in the stock box.

I couldn't go yesterday. I installed an external breather system of my own design quiet a few months back & saw increased performance & keeping my engine oil level 1/2 way up the dipstick markings when checked cold, I get no oil blowby at all & I have no oil migration from my tranny.

Mine runs awesome, with my only other engine mod being a K&N air filter in the stock box.

External venting for the heads is a must on these bigger inch engines IMO

It keeps the intake and inside cylinders free of carbon build up that can cause pre ignition and rob power plus create more internal heat and pressure

This is one of the first mods all my bikes get

It keeps the intake and inside cylinders free of carbon build up that can cause pre ignition and rob power plus create more internal heat and pressure

I listened to you when I first got here Jack & did my FW.:D

Is proper external crankcase venting dependent on intake vacuum and, if not, is the catch canister elevation critical, ie: does it need to be above the head vent bolts or is under the motor equally effective? :Shrug:

I've assembled all the goodies to set an EBS system up but these questions plague me. :gah:

Is proper external crankcase venting dependent on intake vacuum and, if not, is the catch canister elevation critical, ie: does it need to be above the head vent bolts or is under the motor equally effective? :Shrug:

I've assembled all the goodies to set an EBS system up but these questions plague me. :gah:

No, the vents work via atmospheric pressure

I run my vent hose down, some vents run up and over. The vents are 1 way, so no oily mess should go the opposite direction. I hope this helps;)

Welcome to the Trike Talk Community

Join our vibrant online community dedicated to all things Trikes! Whether you're a seasoned rider or just starting out, this is the place to share experiences, tips, and stories about your three-wheeled adventures. Explore modifications, maintenance advice, and rides, all while connecting with fellow trike enthusiasts from around the globe

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dle54

Trike Talk Community

Welcome to a community dedicated to the most diverse and fastest growing powersports segment, Motorcycle Trikes. Come join the discussion about the best makes and models, popular modifications and proven performance hacks, trike touring and travel, maintenance, meetups and more!

Register Already a member? Login

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dle54
 photo 260e2760-d89e-45b2-8675-2bc26fb3d465.jpg

photo Trike-Talk-150-x-200.gif

photo DK Trike Talk Right side banner 19.jpg

Merziere Reverser

photo 9796095c-0d4b-4a9b-88ed-efe4c498d084.png
 photo f9866e4e-75c5-471a-86f5-5e72a446ecc3.png