Time for front tire

ctdair

150+ Posts
2016 Tri-glide time for front tire. Stock tire didn’t last very long. Switched to Avon Trike tire and it did fair but it’s due to be replaced.Now considering rear tire mounted on front as done in numerous threads here. Has anyone considered or done an appropriate sized car tire aka going to the dark side when such substitute is made on the rear of a 2 wheeler.

2016 Tri-glide time for front tire. Stock tire didn’t last very long. Switched to Avon Trike tire and it did fair but it’s due to be replaced.Now considering rear tire mounted on front as done in numerous threads here. Has anyone considered or done an appropriate sized car tire aka going to the dark side when such substitute is made on the rear of a 2 wheeler.

I did the rear tire mounted backwards years ago when I had my Wing. That, in my opinion worked well.

This time I moved to the Avon Trike tire - only have about 3,000 miles on it - seems to handle well.

I don't think a car tire on the front will do well.

I did on my 14 Tri Glide, will also do it on my 21 when it needs it and Michelin Defenders on the rear as well

I did on my 14 Tri Glide, will also do it on my 21 when it needs it and Michelin Defenders on the rear as well

You are putting defenders on the rear - and, "on the front". How did the car tire work out on the front. From what I heard; it was difficult to steer.

You are putting defenders on the rear - and, "on the front". How did the car tire work out on the front. From what I heard; it was difficult to steer.

No, I put a rear Dunlop D402 reversed on the front and on the rear I put Michelins Defenders and they were very smooth. I wouldn’t put a car tire on the front. No way Jose.

Seems that the only car tire’s available in the correct size are doughnut spare tires. So most likely going with a D402 rear mounted for correct front rotation.

Front Tire

Just put Michlen Commander 111 on my 16 trike. They dealer reverse mounted it. Steering seems to be a little easier. Have to put on some miles to see how it hold up!

Seems that the only car tire’s available in the correct size are doughnut spare tires. So most likely going with a D402 rear mounted for correct front rotation.

Yes. I have looked and have not found a car tire that will fit under the fender of the Tri Glide.

Been running rear tire reversed for many years, and ran an Avon once...the 71 and really liked it. Just as good or better than a rear tire reversed.

I've not tried the Avon 91 because there have been so many reports of vibration out of them.

Kevin

Yes. I have looked and have not found a car tire that will fit under the fender of the Tri Glide.

Been running rear tire reversed for many years, and ran an Avon once...the 71 and really liked it. Just as good or better than a rear tire reversed.

I've not tried the Avon 91 because there have been so many reports of vibration out of them.

Kevin

Interesting - I have not heard about or experienced the vibrations you are talking about.

It might be because I am using a 18 on my trike conversion vs the 16 on your Tri-Glide?

Interesting - I have not heard about or experienced the vibrations you are talking about.

It might be because I am using a 18 on my trike conversion vs the 16 on your Tri-Glide?

Could be that, or it just could be that lots of the 91's are great, but there seems to be a fair number of folks that are not being able to resolve the vibes on the 91's they have...to be clear, it is only some of the 91's that seem to be having issues. I just did not want to take the chance.

Kevin

I’ve decided I will mount a rear D402. I have found 74h and 77h rated. Does anyone have opinions on whether the higher weight rating 77h would be any better? Edit to add will the 77h tire fit. It is slightly wider, and will the wider tread help or hinder on the front?

I’ve decided I will mount a rear D402. I have found 74h and 77h rated. Does anyone have opinions on whether the higher weight rating 77h would be any better?

The higher the number the higher the load rating, the H is the speed rating of the tire

Correct Jack. The higher load rated tire is slightly wider, has any fit it ?

MT90B is 74H MTU85 is 77H. I’m thinking to myself that if it will fit without fender clearance issues that I want the higher load rated.

Avon TRIKE tire for me only.....................:scooter:

Ronnie

12/26/23

Avon in the front now. Better mileage than stock front. It was time for a new front and while inspecting I found flat spots. Symptom of how trikes push steer?

Ive also had some hydro planing with it. From the start I never did like the lack of center section tread on the Avon. I’ve ridden in worse conditions with stock front and never hydro planed. Everyone was on the Avon tire bandwagon and it seems that there is mixed feedback on love or hate it. DK is running a reverse rear tire and it seems there is better feedback from others who have done the same.

Back