Honda GL1800 Recall

Apr 23, 2009
Moulton, Al
It seems we have a recall regarding the secondary master cylinder on the front fork, my local honda dealer said it shouldn't affect a trike said he would be happy to check it out.:wave4:

I just got an e-mail from a dealer that said that trikes, or bikes with some aftermarket parts may have an added charge in order to complete the repair to access the parts.

Recall can be applicable if your trike kit incorporated the original rear wheel brake as I did when given the choice. Best to have the Honda dealer make the call for you to be safe.

Roadsmith was nice enough to respond to this issue as posted earlier here.
We have a Lehman Monarch II and after PM to the Lehman rep on this forum and a separate e-mail to Lehman through their website I have yet to hear from either. Oh well....

Roadsmith was nice enough to respond to this issue as posted earlier here.
We have a Lehman Monarch II and after PM to the Lehman rep on this forum and a separate e-mail to Lehman through their website I have yet to hear from either. Oh well....

Paws,
I am home recovering from surgery over the holidays and I tried to send you a pdf on both the recall and any possible maintenance that you can perform to prevent this situation. If you can PM an email address I will send the pdf file I made for you.

As far as I can tell by the drawings, If the linked secondary master cylinder is still being utilized, it would be prone to this recall. Your Lehman has the linked system so it is suspect. There is an adjustment at the secondary master cylinder that I have found to be out of specs on 1 of 10 of the GL1800s I convert. This controls the application and release of the ADV and front caliper and is all tied to the rear caliper. When out of adjustment, the brakes will drag on release and I can see where they could remain partially engaged.

Jim

Your Lehman has the linked system so it is suspect.

Paws,
I am home recovering from surgery over the holidays and I tried to send you a pdf on both the recall and any possible maintenance that you can perform to prevent this situation. If you can PM an email address I will send the pdf file I made for you.

As far as I can tell by the drawings, If the linked secondary master cylinder is still being utilized, it would be prone to this recall. Your Lehman has the linked system so it is suspect. There is an adjustment at the secondary master cylinder that I have found to be out of specs on 1 of 10 of the GL1800s I convert. This controls the application and release of the ADV and front caliper and is all tied to the rear caliper. When out of adjustment, the brakes will drag on release and I can see where they could remain partially engaged.

Jim

Purchased my Lehman trike early 2015. Discovered quite a bit of drag on rear breaks. We cleaned up the pads and calipers and it was a real bitch to put existing pads back on. Couple of months later same thing, pads got all gummed up and cost me quite a bit of money to make it work. I contacted Lehman Trike, who by the way was most helpful, in order to find out the cost and availability of new drums, brakes etc. Ended up purchasing all parts except the calipers from the factory that supplied Lehman. Was a little cheaper. Being from Canada and the dollar, I'm glad I got them when I did although it still was expensive.

Still have not put the new parts on as my mechanic did a great job cleaning them up the second time around and after going to Newfoundland and back to Ontario, 7200km,we figures we would put all new parts on after the trip.

Since then, got the recall in December and due to great weather took it in. Barrie Honda On Canada did the recall and it took them most of the day. No extra charges either. Honda was only allowing 2.5 hours to do the recall. Would recommend them to anyone.

The recall freed up the rear brakes and I totally believe this was my problem last summer.
At the time we were fixing the rear brakes we talked about getting the calipers machined to help add the new pads when we put them on. It was very difficult to put existing pads back on and they were half worn at that time.

Sorry for rambling on....Ralph

I will take mine in as soon as it warms up some, may have them flush the brake system and clutch while it's there.