CB on 2014 TG

In 2010 I bought a 2010 CVO Ultra. I then paid $700 for a zumo 660 GPS. Had it mounted to the fairing. The next year, it was standard equipment on the 2011 COV Ultra.

Stopped at the dealer last night to confirm this. They said they are aware of it and have a solution for it. They have already converted 2 bikes this week and the mike works perfectly. What a relief.......of course now I still have to spend mucho $$$$. :teeth:

jcoud, that would be a real trick - I guess riding with both hands off the handlebars is safer then just one. What a bunch of morons.
If Harley's lawyers are affaid of being sued because someone took their hand of the handlebar(were there ANY cases like that or were they just thinking IT MIGHT happen) how do they explain truck drivers??? They do it almost 24/7 and they're suppose to be the safest drivers on the road. :D

I'm really beginning to think H-D decision makers are drinking the kool-aid. ThumbUp

Did they tell you what the work around is? I have the cb and mike installed on my bike but have not taken possession yet, I would like to have the solution before I take possession so I can have them fix it.

Thanking you in advance

I like others on here don't like the awkwardness of the ptt,or the added cost.Has anybdy tried a hands free walkie talkie set up? I've seen some that plug into the cig. lighter to keep charged,& headsets.Just wondering if something like this might work.Any thoughts

Picked my TG up last week after the CB install. You have to push the botton on the hand mic - AND - the PTT button. At first I didn't think that would be a problem, but it is. Very little control of the bike while doing so. A friend in my chapter showed me what he did. He cut the speaker wires on the supplied headset and attached a clip so he can clip the mic to his jacket, then all he does is push the PTT button to talk and hear the incoming on the fairing speakers. I haven't found a clip yet so haven't tried it yet. He doesn't have a '14 so I don't know if that idea will work on mine or not.

Picked my TG up last week after the CB install. You have to push the botton on the hand mic - AND - the PTT button. At first I didn't think that would be a problem, but it is. Very little control of the bike while doing so. A friend in my chapter showed me what he did. He cut the speaker wires on the supplied headset and attached a clip so he can clip the mic to his jacket, then all he does is push the PTT button to talk and hear the incoming on the fairing speakers. I haven't found a clip yet so haven't tried it yet. He doesn't have a '14 so I don't know if that idea will work on mine or not.
That doesn't not sound right to me!!!!!
With a head set plugged in you should need to use the PTT.
With a hand mic plugged in you should only need to key the mic.
Something is not correct, IMHO.
Had a hand mic for my 2001 Ultra and it worked as I discribed above.

Reading these posts it seems the 2014 TG CB is a little defferent. On my 2013 the CB came with it and works off the PTT button along with a head set with a small boom mike and small pillow speakers that fit inside your helmet. You have the option to use a mike and the radio speakers without the headset. If you use the headset you can turn the speaker switch off and no one can hear your conversation which comes in handy, if you know what I mean. Also the radio or CD can play and if you use the CB the radio shuts off while your talking, then resumes. It's good to have when your doing a group ride.

Last edited:
Sully, it's not the CB that's different, it's the infotainment system that's mucking up the works. What you discribed was SOP on every Ultra from the beginning. The 2014 TG changed all that - the Limited is still the same. Why H-D is punishing TG owners is a mystery to me.
F_ _K you H-D!!!! :gah: :gah:

Arnie, there is no other choice unless you go with one of those hand held CB's. A few riders in our chapter do that - mount a hand held CB to the handlebars.
If I was just a lone rider I wouldn't have a CB, but I do trips with other riders and I was a road captain in our chapter. Besides I'm a busybody and like to hear what everyone is talking about. :laugh: :laugh:

I'm hoping the trick with the headset will work on the '14. ThumbUp

OK, rode with a group last night. I took the headset that Harley gives you and cut off the speakers, then tied a clip to the main body and clipped it to my jacket = works great, but the mic does wiggle around a bit. The only problem I had was the PTT switch being on the right side. Unless you have a long thumb, you almost have to release the throttle to talk - not very safe in my opinion. Harley should have left it on the left - WHAT THE HELL WERE THEY THINKING!!! - I know - so they could move the cruise control to the left side. I never had a problem with it on the right side.
Now I'm thinking on getting one of those throat mics. a friend has one and says it works fine, but I read a lot of reviews from people that think it's junk and not worth the price and the sound is too muddy.
Anyone here own one and how do you like it?

I have a V-Rod trike so obviously don't have a CB. I can understand how a CB would be useful on a ride to communicate with the road captain and sweep.

instead of spending $500.00+ why not buy a hand held CB and headphones for $100 from Radio Shack?? That's what I do... I also agree Harley not including with the trikes is bunk.

I have a V-Rod trike so obviously don't have a CB. I can understand how a CB would be useful on a ride to communicate with the road captain and sweep.

instead of spending $500.00+ why not buy a hand held CB and headphones for $100 from Radio Shack?? That's what I do... I also agree Harley not including with the trikes is bunk.

Too late, I already bought the CB. Besides I have way too much stuff on the handlebars now that the hand held wouldn't fit anywhere.....and you still have to take one hand off the bars. Now I don't so it's a little safer. You still have to reach with you thumb to hit the PTT switch - a REALLY DUMB move on Harleys part.
Is there anyone who likes the switch on the right side???

Exactly, why the CB on the Limited and not the Trike?? Also heated grips on the Limited and not on the Trike. And most important a lot better colors on the Limited - TG = not so much.
I think some of the engineers/designers should be shot.

They call it Marketing, they leave off the stuff you may want, then they give you the opportunity to spend more money and buy it from them. :Shrug:

Your dealer is quite pricy. Charging 3 hours to install the 3M fender protectors is way over board.

Our local Harley dealer wanted $150.00 to install 3Mfender protectors. My sister installed them on her husbands Triglide in 1 hour, by herself. It seems from reading this thread that CB prices are all over the place, but they either charge like crazy for the unit or the labor. Goldwing stop putting CB in their bikes in 2001 and the price for the unit and antenna is around $800-$825. Installation is usually 2 hrs if you have them install it. Most don't. It is just plug and play. Takes about 15 minutes for the CB and a little more for the antenna. It is just a shame that Harley AND Honda are charging big bucks for the bikes and reducing the items included

Welcome to the Trike Talk Community

Join our vibrant online community dedicated to all things Trikes! Whether you're a seasoned rider or just starting out, this is the place to share experiences, tips, and stories about your three-wheeled adventures. Explore modifications, maintenance advice, and rides, all while connecting with fellow trike enthusiasts from around the globe

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
HomeFree

Trike Talk Community

Welcome to a community dedicated to the most diverse and fastest growing powersports segment, Motorcycle Trikes. Come join the discussion about the best makes and models, popular modifications and proven performance hacks, trike touring and travel, maintenance, meetups and more!

Register Already a member? Login

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
HomeFree
 photo 260e2760-d89e-45b2-8675-2bc26fb3d465.jpg

photo Trike-Talk-150-x-200.gif

photo DK Trike Talk Right side banner 19.jpg

Merziere Reverser

photo 9796095c-0d4b-4a9b-88ed-efe4c498d084.png
 photo f9866e4e-75c5-471a-86f5-5e72a446ecc3.png