Friend needs prayer support.

That is so sad! Does anyone know how it happened? Takes a lot of force to flip a trike, especially at slow speeds. And for him to get ejected forward and have the trike land on him..... I guess God needed him somewhere else. Our sympathies to his family.

So far, there are really only a few possibilities. Most likely, an animal like a dog or cat caught him by surprise and caused him to make a fatal correction trying to avoid it. Second thought is mechanical, but the police said the bike seemed ok even after the roll over. Front brakes could have locked, but they were not locked after the accident. I am going to pick the trike up from the impound lot today or tomorrow and will be looking for any possible cause.

Really, we may never know. There was a neighbor outside and saw it all. He said Kevin was at or maybe slower than he normally took the turn. He also said there were no other vehicles in the area and he did not see an animal. He said he heard scraping and then Kevin leaving the bike. I assume the scraping was the running boards making contact with the ground and then once the outside dug into the pavement, that is when he left the saddle.

This is almost unexplainable to me. I ride a trike as well and cannot get my arms around what happened. I will let you know if I find out anything after looking at the trike.

I am going to add a third possibility and you may have other thoughts. This is the last thought on my mind, but Kevin may simply have made a mistake and came into the corner at a bad angle or was distracted and corrected to late or any number of other variables. Not somethin I believe, but in the realm of possibilities, it is possible. Anyone else want to suggest, please feel free. It would not offend and may help his family and friends better understand.

Once again, I thank you for the prayers and words. I will share with the family verbally now and will forward this link later.

Sorry to hear about your friend. Prayer's to you and all concerned. Sometime back a Lady was killed on a Trike on the Blue Ridge Parkway. She was also in a curve. Some speculated she was going too fast. I was concerned because my wife rides a Triglide solo and we ride up there a lot. I talked with the guy who sold us her Trike. He said it's hard to flip a Trike if you are smooth into a curve. He said these Triglides will take a curve as fast or faster than a 2 wheel if done right. He said where people get into trouble, they get into the curve too hot and jerk the handle bars instead of a smooth pull. He also said a big reason is People don't look where they want to go. They look at the hazard instead of through the curve. Maybe your friend got distracted by something and then realized he was into a curve and jerked the bar's. Anyway, I guess it was his time to go. Ride safe!

Im so sorry to hear about Kevin's accident. Prayers up for the family. I hesitate to mention it here, but for the sake of safety, Id like to respectfully address the possible cause of this accident in hopes no one else will suffer a similar accident.

Several years ago, not long after I had gotten into the trike building business, I decided I would start taking each newly completed trike to our town's stadium parking lot for a thorough test ride to include hard turns, hard braking, etc., just to make sure every one was up to snuff 100% as far as being tight, no squeaks, rattles, brake problems, handling problems and so forth. This also gave me a chance to really get to know the capabilities and characteristics of the different sizes, makes and models as well as the different kit manufacturer's products handling characteristics.

I was a little surprised at how much effort it took to get a rear tire to lift. I'm sure I was unconsciously being conservative as I was pretty new to trikes at the time and obviously didnt want to injure myself or damage my customer's new trike. After a lot of attempts, I discovered it could be done, but it took considerable effort to accomplish. I noticed that at low speed, about the only way I could make it happen was to slow way down, turn the trike to full lock, start and hold the turn at full lock, then roll relatively hard on the gas and hold it. Under those circumstances, its possible to lift a tire, pretty quickly even, but you have to hold the throttle and continue accelerating through the turn. I did notice, for me at least, that a left hand turn tended to lift more easily due to the fact that my right arm was fully extended, causing me to apply more throttle and have less range of motion to "un-twist" the throttle. If one were to become startled by the back tire lifting during such a manuver, the natural reaction would be to jerk your body to a more upright position, possibly applying even more throttle. These things happen very quickly.

Theres no way to know for sure, but this could have been the case with Kevin's accident. Sadly, it could have instantly been averted if he had counter steered, but it sounds like he was too close to the curb and didnt have enough "run out" room to straighten the bike out without hitting the curb with the trike. If it happened this way, I believe it was at this time that the machine lifted a wheel and rolled, throwing him over and onto the curb with the the trike landing on him. Thats the only scenario that makes any sense. Im afraid it was very possibly a miss-judgement of a bit too much throttle through a very tight turn, getting startled, and no room to make a quick counter-steer. I could be completely wrong as I was not there and have no way of knowing, but based on the limited information given, thats my best guess. It could happen to any of us. I strongly suggest you each get to know your machine and its limits and PLEASE ride conservatively.

Amen Randy. I also have found the same thing can be made to happen. Like you state you really have to be at the limits of the steering and then add alot of throttle, and then still just a little backoff sets it right back down. So don't be scared out there that trikes will flip over. Most of you never get into a situation where it will happen. If you do just remember throttle back. As Randy said as you get more experience be a little aggressive and learn your trike. Ride safe out there.

First time seeing this today. I offer my sincere condolences to you and Kevin's family. I just started trike riding in July. Just couldn't hold up two wheels while standing still due to back injuries and surgeries.

Riding a trike was downright scairy at first, totally different dynamics and a completely different mindset to me. I still try to lean into turns sometimes. Steering, especially where I live over 30 mph has become an adventure. I'm doing a complete geometry change to help alleviate that problem, and I'm adding a steering stabilizer.

I actually upgraded to a full face helmet and armored riding clothes, and just may leave it that way.

Again, my sincere sympathies....

tom

After talking to the one witness and picking up the trike on Saturday, I have this to add. Kevin may have been distracted and noticed too late that he was deep into the turn and jerked the bars left trying to recover and avoid running into the curb ahead of him. The scratch lines and trajectory lines before the scratches painted by the police indicate a straight line path till about half way through the turn. Scratches were straight to the curb starting about 30 feet from it. Looks like the right running board dug in at about 20 or so feet and this ejected Kevin. No defensive wounds to his hands. He probably never got them in front of him... The trike is not bad. I was able to drive it into the trailer. Windshield and tourpak were crushed. Little rash on all the expected places on the right side.. Looks like a low speed roll over. No noticed mechanical failures, but I will look further. I do appreciate the reviews and input from others. If Kevin's accident and the words written here provide information to others that may save another life at some point, then, in a way, Kevin may help save others. I have, at times ridden locally without a helmet on my trike. thinking at lower speeds the risk was acceptable. I will NEVER ride without one again.

Kevin's memorial service was yesteday at the the Pigeon Hole in Irving, Texas. This is a rustic church for bikers of all kinds. Kevin's kind of place.

I miss my friend.

Thank you all

Im so sorry to hear about Kevin's accident. Prayers up for the family. I hesitate to mention it here, but for the sake of safety, Id like to respectfully address the possible cause of this accident in hopes no one else will suffer a similar accident.

Several years ago, not long after I had gotten into the trike building business, I decided I would start taking each newly completed trike to our town's stadium parking lot for a thorough test ride to include hard turns, hard braking, etc., just to make sure every one was up to snuff 100% as far as being tight, no squeaks, rattles, brake problems, handling problems and so forth. This also gave me a chance to really get to know the capabilities and characteristics of the different sizes, makes and models as well as the different kit manufacturer's products handling characteristics.

I was a little surprised at how much effort it took to get a rear tire to lift. I'm sure I was unconsciously being conservative as I was pretty new to trikes at the time and obviously didnt want to injure myself or damage my customer's new trike. After a lot of attempts, I discovered it could be done, but it took considerable effort to accomplish. I noticed that at low speed, about the only way I could make it happen was to slow way down, turn the trike to full lock, start and hold the turn at full lock, then roll relatively hard on the gas and hold it. Under those circumstances, its possible to lift a tire, pretty quickly even, but you have to hold the throttle and continue accelerating through the turn. I did notice, for me at least, that a left hand turn tended to lift more easily due to the fact that my right arm was fully extended, causing me to apply more throttle and have less range of motion to "un-twist" the throttle. If one were to become startled by the back tire lifting during such a manuver, the natural reaction would be to jerk your body to a more upright position, possibly applying even more throttle. These things happen very quickly.

Theres no way to know for sure, but this could have been the case with Kevin's accident. Sadly, it could have instantly been averted if he had counter steered, but it sounds like he was too close to the curb and didnt have enough "run out" room to straighten the bike out without hitting the curb with the trike. If it happened this way, I believe it was at this time that the machine lifted a wheel and rolled, throwing him over and onto the curb with the the trike landing on him. Thats the only scenario that makes any sense. Im afraid it was very possibly a miss-judgement of a bit too much throttle through a very tight turn, getting startled, and no room to make a quick counter-steer. I could be completely wrong as I was not there and have no way of knowing, but based on the limited information given, thats my best guess. It could happen to any of us. I strongly suggest you each get to know your machine and its limits and PLEASE ride conservatively.

Hi everyone. My name is Christine Davis. I am Kevin's wife.

I wanted to thank everyone for their prayers and support. It is very heartwarming to see all the prayers and all the responses regarding how this may have happened.

I am hanging in there, but keep waiting to hear Kevin pull in the garage with the trike. Of course I could hear him long before he got to our street. It's all very tragic because he was a very careful and experienced rider...barring the use of a helmet. He had taken that curve a million times as it is right down the street from the house. He wasn't gone 5 mins. before a witness came to get me. He told me K had already been taken by the ambulance. When I arrived at the accident site the trike had already been uprighted so I had no clue how severe it was at the time. I was just kind of dazed and drove to the hospital expecting to find broken bones and major road rash. When I finally got to see the ER doc. he showed me the MRI and I was in total shock. I couldn't even look at K I just held his hand for a min. before they took him for surgery. I think from the beginning there was no hope of his survival. The doctors tried everything possible, but things went from bad to worse. He was on full life support the morning we decided to let him go. The nurses had moved him to one side of the bed so I could hold him as he passed. I felt 2 strong heart beats...then they faded to nothing. It took less than 5 mins. for him to pass.

Although I have no control over what happens in this life....I truly, sincerely, do not want anyone else to have to experience what I have. K was stubborn, a little crusty on the outside, but soft in the middle. He was a dedicated employee, a downright hard worker around the house, and when you earned his trust you were in his heart forever. He LOVED our trike and above all, he loved me with all his soul. He was my heart and I miss him terribly.

Thank you again for all the prayers, love and support. K and I couldn't have better friends than Flynn and his wife Sher. Actually...they started as friends and quickly became family. I love them dearly and am so very thankful for their love and support. I wish you all could know Flynn. He is awesome.

Much love to all,
Christine Davis (K's Sweet Pea)

This is tragic, and there is nothing that we can say or do to bring your friend back. I don't think this has been mentioned, but I think I read that he did not have on a helmet. Since this is a brain injury, I suspect a helmet may have saved his life. This is for those of you that think helmets are a bother. If nothing else, it's quite possible that your friends life may help save more lives by some of us choosing to wear a helmet. God bless his family and also you for being such a dear friend.

Sweet Pea, my heart goes out to you as you go through this impossibly difficult time. There, but for God's will, we spouses all go. When John's out alone and I hear a siren, I worry until he gets home.

My precious Scalp Hunter didn't wear a helmet often until a friend of ours had a really bad accident (medical airlift kind). Luckily John was there to provide triage until the paramedics came; they credit John with saving our friend's life because he stabilized our buddy, who had a severe back injury. I feel that this (along with my nagging - and his insistence that I wear a helmet) convinced him that the asphalt was tougher than his noggin. Now we both wear them (depending on mood & conditions, ranging from a half helmet to a full-face) even on 'around the block' kind of rides.

Please know that you have the friendship and good wishes from all of us here at TrikeTalk. If we can help in any way - even in your darkest times when you just need to vent - we're here for you.

A big group hug from all your buddies here!

BlondieGal & ScalpHunter
Nancy & John Crigler

TNTriker.
First, and my intention is not to be rude, but K was my husband (friend too, of course).
Also, thanks for your support!

K wore a half helmet when he wore one at all. The doctors said had he even been wearing that, the force and angle with which he struck the top of the curb would most likely have still cause permanent head/brain trauma. The way in which he hit the curb, forehead to top of curb, may have pushed his helmet up due to the force and the end result maybe been the same or similar. Also, even if he had been wearing any helmet configuration, the force may have snapped his neck or at the least caused major damage to his spine. I can tell you for a fact, K would've been angry at the world had he survived and been a para or quadriplegic.

I AM NOT justifying K's not wearing a helmet. I didn't wear one either. We both liked not having the weight and we both liked feeling the "wind in our hair". We just felt more invincible on 3 wheels.

I for one will wear a helmet forever more.
Warm thoughts for you.

Hi everyone. My name is Christine Davis. I am Kevin's wife.

I wanted to thank everyone for their prayers and support. It is very heartwarming to see all the prayers and all the responses regarding how this may have happened.

I am hanging in there, but keep waiting to hear Kevin pull in the garage with the trike. Of course I could hear him long before he got to our street. It's all very tragic because he was a very careful and experienced rider...barring the use of a helmet. He had taken that curve a million times as it is right down the street from the house. He wasn't gone 5 mins. before a witness came to get me. He told me K had already been taken by the ambulance. When I arrived at the accident site the trike had already been uprighted so I had no clue how severe it was at the time. I was just kind of dazed and drove to the hospital expecting to find broken bones and major road rash. When I finally got to see the ER doc. he showed me the MRI and I was in total shock. I couldn't even look at K I just held his hand for a min. before they took him for surgery. I think from the beginning there was no hope of his survival. The doctors tried everything possible, but things went from bad to worse. He was on full life support the morning we decided to let him go. The nurses had moved him to one side of the bed so I could hold him as he passed. I felt 2 strong heart beats...then they faded to nothing. It took less than 5 mins. for him to pass.

Although I have no control over what happens in this life....I truly, sincerely, do not want anyone else to have to experience what I have. K was stubborn, a little crusty on the outside, but soft in the middle. He was a dedicated employee, a downright hard worker around the house, and when you earned his trust you were in his heart forever. He LOVED our trike and above all, he loved me with all his soul. He was my heart and I miss him terribly.

Thank you again for all the prayers, love and support. K and I couldn't have better friends than Flynn and his wife Sher. Actually...they started as friends and quickly became family. I love them dearly and am so very thankful for their love and support. I wish you all could know Flynn. He is awesome.

Much love to all,
Christine Davis (K's Sweet Pea)

Thank you Christine for jumping in here. This breaks my heart. I am so sorry for the loss of your devoted loving husband. As Blondie said, eventhough we don't know each other, we are here for you anytime.

Karen Kinnard
aka Skeet

I'm so glad you have shared with us, Christine! Kevin sounds like a very special guy, and you obviously had a beautiful marriage! What memories you will cherish. Hugs to you!

TNTriker.
First, and my intention is not to be rude, but K was my husband (friend too, of course).
Also, thanks for your support!

K wore a half helmet when he wore one at all. The doctors said had he even been wearing that, the force and angle with which he struck the top of the curb would most likely have still cause permanent head/brain trauma. The way in which he hit the curb, forehead to top of curb, may have pushed his helmet up due to the force and the end result maybe been the same or similar. Also, even if he had been wearing any helmet configuration, the force may have snapped his neck or at the least caused major damage to his spine. I can tell you for a fact, K would've been angry at the world had he survived and been a para or quadriplegic.

I AM NOT justifying K's not wearing a helmet. I didn't wear one either. We both liked not having the weight and we both liked feeling the "wind in our hair". We just felt more invincible on 3 wheels.

I for one will wear a helmet forever more.
Warm thoughts for you.

I totally understand about the wind in your hair thing. I too love riding without a helmet, but choose to wear it, even when in states that it is not required. I really hurt for you and totally understand the loss you are suffering. I lost my husband after 39 years of marriage over 12 years ago. I know that God did my late husband and myself a kindness by taking him suddenly, as you metioned, he would not have been happy needing care 24/7. I would have been happy to be the caregiver, but God knows us much better than we know ourselves. I found a new love about 3 1/3 years ago but at times can still feel the pain. My prayers go out to you and your family.

First time seeing this today. I offer my sincere condolences to you and Kevin's family. I just started trike riding in July. Just couldn't hold up two wheels while standing still due to back injuries and surgeries.

Riding a trike was downright scairy at first, totally different dynamics and a completely different mindset to me. I still try to lean into turns sometimes. Steering, especially where I live over 30 mph has become an adventure. I'm doing a complete geometry change to help alleviate that problem, and I'm adding a steering stabilizer.

I actually upgraded to a full face helmet and armored riding clothes, and just may leave it that way.

Again, my sincere sympathies....

tom

Hi tom. Thank you for the support. I am glad you are being safe and covering your whole head and body.
Have you ridden with a passenger yet? I can tell you from a passenger's perspective: "there ain't nothin' better!".
Thanks, and be safe.

I totally understand about the wind in your hair thing. I too love riding without a helmet, but choose to wear it, even when in states that it is not required. I really hurt for you and totally understand the loss you are suffering. I lost my husband after 39 years of marriage over 12 years ago. I know that God did my late husband and myself a kindness by taking him suddenly, as you metioned, he would not have been happy needing care 24/7. I would have been happy to be the caregiver, but God knows us much better than we know ourselves. I found a new love about 3 1/3 years ago but at times can still feel the pain. My prayers go out to you and your family.

Thank you for your support. I am so sorry to hear about your husband of 39 yrs. I only had Kevin for 13 yrs. I wonder if it's harder to lose one after 39 yrs. or 13? It's a great loss to lose a spouse so I guess it doesn't matter how long they were in your life. I'm happy that you've found your new love.
Thanks again.
Take good care and be safe.

Welcome to the Trike Talk Community

Join our vibrant online community dedicated to all things Trikes! Whether you're a seasoned rider or just starting out, this is the place to share experiences, tips, and stories about your three-wheeled adventures. Explore modifications, maintenance advice, and rides, all while connecting with fellow trike enthusiasts from around the globe

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
rramo
Back