New Brake Shoes Locking Up 2004 Lehman Goldwing

The 4 nuts viewed thru the holes on the flange of the axle, remove them, you may need to put the drum on backwards with 2 nuts and use like a slide hammer to pop the axles out

No need to worry about gears falling out with this type of rear end ( only with C clip type rear

ends) you need to use caution

Now with axles out look in the axle tube at the grease seal, if it is overly wet and grease build up outside the seal replace seal, be sure to lube the lip of the seal

The 4 nuts viewed thru the holes on the flange of the axle, remove them, you may need to put the drum on backwards with 2 nuts and use like a slide hammer to pop the axles out

I may be able to borrow one from an auto parts store if needed. I would hate to have to buy one.

No need to worry about gears falling out with this type of rear end ( only with C clip type rear ends) you need to use caution

That's great news!

Now with axles out look in the axle tube at the grease seal, if it is overly wet and grease build up outside the seal replace seal, be sure to lube the lip of the seal

I will definitely do that.... Hopefully I'll come across removal on YouTube. Now to find the backer plates... Thanks again, you've been nothing short of Awesome!! Ray

Your axles should come out this way, tho the bearing seal may be different , there may be a seal in the rear end tube

That would be more than awesome.... If that's the case there wouldn't be a need to crack open the pumpkin, correct? Thanks Jack, appreciate ya! Ray ThumbUp

Why are you wanting new backing plates? That video is about the 9" Ford axle. I looked at your pictures, you have an early 6.75" integral type carrier Ford axle. Used in some Pintos, Mustang IIs, even some early Bronco IIs, Fairmonts, etc. Lehman either shortened the axles or had new axles produced to fit the shortened housings.

integral-carrier.gifYour axles will slip right out once you remove the 4 nuts that secure the backing plates and axle bearing retainers. The Mustang II Organization has a page on this rear axle, with exploded diagram. There actually is a lot of info out there once you search for Ford 6.75 rear axle. Here is a video goes back to 1960-61 Falcon, but those had a different lug pattern. You do not have C-clips holding the axles in.

Thank You for all the great information.... appreciate it.

Whay are you wanting new backing plates?

Because all the high contact points for the shoes are gouged as shown in the second picture of post #36. I would rather have new plates than having them repaired and ground down. I don't have a problem having them repaired but, I would have to hire that out. Also, if they are bent, I'm not so sure I could get them straight. They look and feel wider at the top but as I stated earlier on, I never had a problem removing the right side drum. In other words, I never had to forcefully remove the right side.

That video is about the 9" Ford axle.

I was just referencing that video wanting to know if axle removal for my Lehman was the same as shown at the beginning. I'm not a mechanic therefore, I'm asking those of you that know one way or the other.

I looked at your pictures, you have an earl 6.75" integral type carrier Ford axle. Used in some Pintos, Mustang IIs, even some early Bronco IIs, Fairmonts, etc.

You're correct, they're are many Fords that used thes axles back in the 70's and 80's.

Lehman either shortened the axles or had new axles produced to fit the shortened housings.

The following link is probably the best info. you'll find anywhere in regards to Lehman rear ends. Especially, (RIP) Jim Murphys answer in post #2

https://www.triketalk.com/forum/threads/56158-Question-for-Lee-Mann-drive-axle-replacement-parts

Your axles will slip right out once you remove the 4 nuts that secure the backing plates and axle bearing retainers. The Mustang II Organization has a page on this rear axle, with exploded diagram. There actually is a lot of info out there once you search for Ford 6.75 rear axle. Here is a video goes back to 1960-61 Falcon, but those had a different lug pattern. You do not have C-clips holding the axles in.

I will definitely check it all out. appreciate the help.

Thanks again for all the info.
Ray. ThumbUp

Ok, I see they got bent a little. I'd bend them back, use a 2x4 about 24" long and a C-c;lamp to leverage them back to a proper fit with the drum, then build back your brake shoes / springs / hold downs / etc.

Thanks.... That may work. I know I need to be careful simply due to these backing plates are impossible to find other than some used one's. Thanks again. Ray ThumbUp

No need to worry about gears falling out with this type of rear end ( only with C clip type rear

ends) you need to use caution

Thanks again Jack... This may be a stupid question......LOL. Should I drain the differential fluid before I pull the axle. I do have the rear end up on jacks slightly higher than my ramps. I just changed it prior to the brake shoe install but, of course I will drain it if needed. Thanks again. Clueless Ray (Headbang) :)

Thanks again Jack... This may be a stupid question......LOL. Should I drain the differential fluid before I pull the axle. I do have the rear end up on jacks slightly higher than my ramps. I just changed it prior to the brake shoe install but, of course I will drain it if needed. Thanks again. Clueless Ray (Headbang) :)

Very little grease would run out if any

Very little grease would run out if any

Thanks Jack... I'll be pulling the axles either today or tomorrow. Once I get the backing plates off, I'm going to check around a couple welding shops near me to see if they'll repair those grooves on the nubs. I'll give them a shoe for double checking across them for contact. In addition, I'll definitely check for the trueness to see if they are bent or not the best I can. Thanks again, appreciate ya big time for seeing me through this! Ray ThumbUp

Thanks Jack... I'll be pulling the axles either today or tomorrow. Once I get the backing plates off, I'm going to check around a couple welding shops near me to see if they'll repair those grooves on the nubs. I'll give them a shoe for double checking across them for contact. In addition, I'll definitely check for the trueness to see if they are bent or not the best I can. Thanks again, appreciate ya big time for seeing me through this! Ray ThumbUp

Just for grins, as you have the shoes off and will be pulling the plates, pop the wheel cylinders apart and look in the bores, check the pistons for scoring.

Keep in mind new parts can easily not be OK, I have seen this many times before

I once got a spark plug with no threads:p

Just for grins, as you have the shoes off and will be pulling the plates, pop the wheel cylinders apart and look in the bores, check the pistons for scoring.

Thanks! Great idea.... I will definitely do that. It's so true, parts today are no where near how they used to be in quality. Spark plug with no threads.... wow, never heard of that one but, sooo believable. Thanks again! Ray 😱

Took apart the wheel cylinders, all looks great.... Pulled both axles with the left one needing to use the reverse drum trick as a hammer a couple times. After removing the backing plate bolts I gave both axles an up/down and side to side test. No play at all, nice and solid. As for the seals, they also look good.

After cleaning up the axles, I placed them back with the exception of bolting them in just to keep them off the floor.

I have a question since I'm a little.... well probably more... oblivious. :confused: With the trike being in neutral, I noticed something odd but, there must be a reason. As I was spinning the axle, I noticed the other side spinning in the opposite direction. After you're done laughing.....LOL. Please fill me in. :Trike1: Thanks Jack. Ray

Took apart the wheel cylinders, all looks great.... Pulled both axles with the left one needing to use the reverse drum trick as a hammer a couple times. After removing the backing plate bolts I gave both axles an up/down and side to side test. No play at all, nice and solid. As for the seals, they also look good.

After cleaning up the axles, I placed them back with the exception of bolting them in just to keep them off the floor.

I have a question since I'm a little.... well probably more... oblivious. :confused: With the trike being in neutral, I noticed something odd but, there must be a reason. As I was spinning the axle, I noticed the other side spinning in the opposite direction. After you're done laughing.....LOL. Please fill me in. :Trike1: Thanks Jack. Ray

Ray, that is an open rear end, one of the most popular on the road

Each axle can turn independant of the other

Ray, that is an open rear end, one of the most popular on the road

Each axle can turn independant of the other

Thanks Jack.... Great answer! I just took my backing plates to a welder to fill the grooves with the hardest weld they have. They're also going to grind them down. I gave them a pair of shoes for flush checking as well. In addition, I gave them a drum to check against the flushness around the plates. They told me they have some straight edges that they'll use as well. I straightened them somewhat with a couple big C-clamps and flat bar but, it could use a litte more. They told me that they had a press which would do the job and to give them a couple days. (Sweating) (Worried) So far we're rolling to get this done.... Thanks again, appreciate ya!! Ray ThumbUp

Welcome to the Trike Talk Community

Join our vibrant online community dedicated to all things Trikes! Whether you're a seasoned rider or just starting out, this is the place to share experiences, tips, and stories about your three-wheeled adventures. Explore modifications, maintenance advice, and rides, all while connecting with fellow trike enthusiasts from around the globe

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Michigander
Back