SUPER BRACE on a Gold Wing 1800 Trike Report Thread

Ok I need some advice..I have 2006VTX1800N trike,4.5 rake..it is really good moving around on the roads and don't feel any bumps..she kind of glides over bumps..BUT I live in Michigan and the roads are terrible..when I go over a bump my front end jumps around sometimes the roads are so bad it feels like my ligaments and muscles are pulling apart..I also have arthritis and want to continue to ride..never have problems when roads are smooth..rode through Ohio and Tennessee one handed..Do you think this super brace would be for me??BoomBoom

Don't know about on a trike. On my 2 wheel adventure tourer it was one of the best add ons I ever did. On another GL1800 forum there is and has been much discussion about fork braces. Types, styles, pros and cons. The Goldwing uses two differnet type forks on one front end. Cartridge type on the right and damper rod on the left. Also there is the antidive to consider which only affects the left fork. <br />
<br />
I am only speaking of what I read!!! I never had a brace on my 2 wheel Wing. I never got to ride it, back went south by the time I had her ready.<br />
<br />
But here is what the biggest discussions I read were about.<br />

Stiction- A non varying, fixed brace can cause the forks to stick and not function correctly<br />
2. Anti dive- locks up left fork but right is still free to move, with a brace it restricts the right when the left locks up<br />
3. antidive- disabled or preload reduced<br />
4. fixed or adjustable braces- much ado about this topic<br />
<br />
Along with all this there are many other variables. Such as- are the fork springs stock, If not are the replacements linear or progressive wound and what rate are they. have emulators or after market cartridge systems been installed. Oil weights. <br />
<br />
Much talk about the front end of 2 wheel wings. Mostly in respect to the dreaded front end wobble.<br />
<br />
AGAIN!!! I am in no way saying a fork brace is good or bad on a Wing.

Or what type is best. Just bringing in some of the variables that have been and still are infinitely discussed regarding 2 wheel wing front ends. <br />
<br />
I loved the brace on my V-Strom!!!!!!! And if they work on a trike as well I would definitely be looking at adding one!<br />
<br />
Thanks for the great evaluation! Keep us abreast as the smiles pile up.

Last edited:
FOOTNOTE: I had a SUPER BRACE on my 2008 Gold Wing 1800 2-wheeler, and it instantly made a much better handler out of it also...THE DRAGON.....

winglean1003.jpg

Much Quicker Turn-in, More Stability holding a Line, Much less Wheel Flop/Fork Flex/Twist.....it also had a more controllable Frontend Dive while Hard Braking.......:):cool:

Now, the last two weeks, I have played some more with the Rear shock Air Pressures (Have even taken the SUPER BRACE off a coupla' times for verification of my findings).....I definetly have to run the Rear Shocks in the 40s instead of the 30s with the SUPER BRACE installed. If not, I have too much Rear Roll to negotiate twisties comfortably at "medium-high" rates of speed. The SUPER BRACE is still definetly a Performance Add-on that I highly recommend.....:wtg:

**** We added a SUPER BRACE to my Buddy Jim's 2010 Gold Wing 2-wheeler the other week also.....He really likes it also. It has helped His Gold Wing transition The Dragon, and other Tennessee Mountains much better than before. His is an ABS model, and is "slightly" more complicated in the installation because of an added Fork Bracket. He is also going to add Progressive Springs next week.....we will see how this works with the SUPER BRACE also....;)

Well, more testing comin' this weekend in The Smokies....back later, skuuter.....:wtg:

OK, we added the Progressive Fork Springs to Jim's Gold Wing 1800 2-wheeler. The Springs feel even better than the stockers (...even with the SUPER BRACE), and really helps a lot with "brake dive". Progressive Springs may find Their way onto my Trike at a future date. I know, some argue that using the SUPER BRACE and the Springs are a bad combination for a Trike..."but"...I've seen the same argument for the Raked Trees, Rear Tire on the Front, and the SUPER BRACE I have installed, but each have come together to make a much better handling Trike.

I rode The Dragon about three weeks ago, some of it rather "briskly", and my Trike does a Great Job......more to come.....:wtg:

***I am consistantly running 45lbs of air in my Rear Shocks now with the SUPER BRACE...much better handling than with the 35lbs I ran before installing it.

Loaned my SUPER BRACE to a Buddy yesterday to try on His Gold Wing 2-wheeler.....we're putting it back on mine right now......He ordered His this mornin'......:popcorn::cool:

Loaned my SUPER BRACE to a Buddy yesterday to try on His Gold Wing 2-wheeler.....we're putting it back on mine right now......He ordered His this mornin'......:popcorn::cool:

I thought you were going to tell us he would not give it back.

Skuuter: As I said in an earlier post, I grow to 'love' the SuperBrace more with every ride. Even Wifey noticed last week end that my steering seemed more precise & a bit more effortless. Thks again for getting this thread going. Otherwise I might never have bitten the bullet & spent the $$. Absolutely worth the price...& reduced to boot:woohoo:

Skuuter: As I said in an earlier post, I grow to 'love' the SuperBrace more with every ride. Even Wifey noticed last week end that my steering seemed more precise & a bit more effortless. Thks again for getting this thread going. Otherwise I might never have bitten the bullet & spent the $$. Absolutely worth the price...& reduced to boot:woohoo:

THANKS....I hoped this Thread would be beneficial.....the SUPER BRACE just seems to work........and my Wife noticed the same thing too. She rides Herself, and could even "see" the difference in quickness and effort....ThumbUp....I wish They would release one for the Honda 750 Aero....I would put one on Her Trike....:wtg:

had a deer encounter in southern Va on my way back from Key West, going 70 a suv passes and cuts me hard,,,I think wow,,,it been a good trip thats the first jerk I have had to deal with,,,,,then when he is 30 yards in front of me a huge deer bolts in front of him,,,,,I have abs and a CSC trike, I slam the hand and foot brakes,,,,,NO DIVE (do not disable that feature) no skid, no lock up ,,,,steered left but never got close to the SUV,,,,,I can tell you slamming on the BINDERS AT 70 is a trip but all worked as it should,,,,your shoulders will be sore the next day from holding on to that beast but it beats the alternative,,,,I can say the ANTI DIVE and ABS have saved my arse, twice now,,,,glad I have ummm:Yes2:

had a deer encounter in southern Va on my way back from Key West, going 70 a suv passes and cuts me hard,,,I think wow,,,it been a good trip thats the first jerk I have had to deal with,,,,,then when he is 30 yards in front of me a huge deer bolts in front of him,,,,,I have abs and a CSC trike, I slam the hand and foot brakes,,,,,NO DIVE (do not disable that feature) no skid, no lock up ,,,,steered left but never got close to the SUV,,,,,I can tell you slamming on the BINDERS AT 70 is a trip but all worked as it should,,,,your shoulders will be sore the next day from holding on to that beast but it beats the alternative,,,,I can say the ANTI DIVE and ABS have saved my arse, twice now,,,,glad I have ummm:Yes2:

Thanks for the report Bob and glad you survived that near miss!!

I have an 08 Gold wing Trike with Roadsmith. I would like to know if anyone installed a super brace on theirs,and would like to know if its worth the expense. I've felt the wobble at times but The Trike Shop said the brace was only good for 2 wheelers.

Welcome to the Trike Talk Community

Join our vibrant online community dedicated to all things Trikes! Whether you're a seasoned rider or just starting out, this is the place to share experiences, tips, and stories about your three-wheeled adventures. Explore modifications, maintenance advice, and rides, all while connecting with fellow trike enthusiasts from around the globe

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
rramo
Back